Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people go to sleep

1. Jul 8, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Why do people go to sleep, i could stay awake forever, i dont like bed for
    sleeping, only for being lazy, when i go to bed i think i should do this or that,
    but mister lazy tells me shut up.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 8, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

I've tried to avoid it, but unsuccessfully so far. :biggrin:

Unfortunately, we have evolved such that our brain does not the body to sleep so that it can process information and recharge.

While at uni, I once stayed awake for about 130 hrs without sleep (Sunday ~0900 to Friday ~1800). My roommate had a loud party in the room with speakers blaring away 8 feet from my bed. I did not wake up - despite repeated efforts on the part of my roommate and others to wake me - until the next morning.

Also - an old colleague used to tell me over and over - if 24 hrs in a day are not enough, there's always the night. :biggrin:

4. Jul 8, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

5. Jul 8, 2005 #4

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I read really fat boring history books untill my eyes hurt, it generally works for me as long as I motivate myself into bed in the first place. I have to pretend to myself I'm looking forward to knowing what the visigoths will be up to next. On that note,good night.

6. Jul 8, 2005 #5
    sleep is for los-

7. Jul 8, 2005 #6

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm generally in favor of sleep and find it hard to understand why people go so long without it. You can't function without sleep and you eventually reach a point where anything you try to do is crap, anyway, which makes it not worth doing (that said, I admit I've gone up to 30 hours without sleep, but only when seriously motivated).

8. Jul 8, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Good night Fi, them Visigoths are a bad bunch, you stay with the vans, its
    safer.

9. Jul 8, 2005 #8
    I can stay awake a long time if I have something to do (never had to for more than 30 hours, though), but I usually don't. Normally when I fly I'm in a semi-sleep state (I can sleep standing!).

Tips for going to sleep:

1) Read a boring book (Scarlet Letter IMO).
    2) Get comfortable, clear your mind, and breathe regularly.

I'm not sure how insomnia works exactly, so this advice might be useless to those who might consider using it.

10. Jul 8, 2005 #9
    Your in good company Wolram, Thomas Edison, Winston Churchill, John F. Kennedy also did not sleep full nights. They perfered cat naps.
    I close my shop everyday from 1 to 2 pm, somedays I run errands, but somedays I rest on a fainting sofa{which is priced too high to ever sell, for a reason}.ZZZZZzzzz

11. Jul 9, 2005 #10

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Wow, Astronuc, 130 hours is impressive. I regularly stay awake for over 24 hours (and sleep longer at a time). It's not draining- you get used to it. I actually function better this way. I've had trouble falling asleep since I was a kid. I couldn't do the cat nap thing, though I usually take a couple of rest periods- watching the news and educational programs. I really wish I didn't need sleep at all. It's such a waste of time, and you're so vulnerable. Someone needs to find a way to "sleep" while remaining conscious. :approve:
    Maybe I'll try cat naps again. How often do you take a nap and for how long?

12. Jul 9, 2005 #11
    Well you are correct. You eventually reach a point where anything you do is crap. Others of us function differently than your clearly inferior sleep--necessity complex.

--
    Why do people constantly think of themselves as the epitemy of all humanity? YOU'RE WEIRD! NOT NORMAL! NOT AVERAGE! NOT GOOD! NOT BAD! YOU'RE WEIRD!!

13. Jul 9, 2005 #12

wolram

Gold Member

Cat naps are for me 10 to 15 mins, why do you feel vunerable? i dont even
    know were you live :biggrin:

14. Jul 9, 2005 #13

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yes, but I know where you live, and I may sleepwalk over. (Across the Atlantic even- walking on water is among my many talents.)

15. Jul 9, 2005 #14

wolram

Gold Member

Now i feel vunerable, you wouldnt hurt poor old Wolram would you Rose :biggrin:

16. Jul 9, 2005 #15

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Not while awake, but who knows what I'm capable of in my sleep. You should probably keep your windows locked. :wink:

17. Jul 9, 2005 #16

wolram

Gold Member

OO ER, Its hot over here, it would be to much to lock the windows, oh well i
    a can think of much worse things that can happen :biggrin:

18. Jul 9, 2005 #17

wolram

Gold Member

I have never come across a, "fainting sofa", it sounds relaxing.

19. Jul 9, 2005 #18
    ahh from the Victorian age when ladys were prone to swooning. Of course heavily ornate wood work, with cushions slightly elevated on one side to raise your feet.

20. Jul 9, 2005 #19

Lisa!

Gold Member

Thanx!I finally find out why "American girls","doing without it" and lots of other threads came to existence! :uhh: :wink:

21. Jul 9, 2005 #20
    depends on how tired your brain is...if you only need catnaps then your brain only needs to shutoff for very little time...but you still are getting SLEEP even though people call them naps. all you really need is 4 hours every like 18-20 hours.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?