Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people like Dick Gephardt drop out of politics completely?

1. Jan 24, 2004 #1
    I don't get it, Dick Gephardy was well loved and seemingly a great leader. I understand why he thought that if he did so poorly in Iowa that he'd do much worse elsewhere and dropped out of the presidential race, but why wouldn't someone like that attempt some other office?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

He's already a Congressman in the House of Representatives. Although the Democrats are in the minority there, and can't prevent anything the Republican majority is reallly set on, Gephardt's seniority gives him a lot of power to direct and prevent more contentious items. He does great for his home district (Saint Louis, I believe). So he's not stepping down from public life.

He has now made at least two attempts to carry the flag of Unionism to the White House, and been eliminated early both times. This seems to be the fact, that even Democratic voters are too suburban to vote the Union line anymore.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?