Why do people need tvs larer then houses?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary, many people buy large TVs because they enjoy the sense of immersion and bragging rights, while others may use it to compensate for other insecurities. However, some people find alternatives such as projectors or smaller screens to be more practical and cost-effective. Ultimately, TV size is a personal preference and not a necessity in life.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I went to my sisters house last night for some poker and she has the biggest TV I've ever seen in my life. It was almost taller then me. The stupid thing was however was that the quality was pretty crappy! (image quality). Why do pepole buy these things when they can't get good quality! Plus my sister is a single mom... so its not like these things should be top priorities...

Physics news on Phys.org
The new ones are pretty good, but with the older and low quality units, I don't think most people notice. But I can see the motivation for large screens. As with the IMAX theatres, people like the sense of immersion. I guess this could also be why kids often sit two feet away from the TV.

...just another step along the way to virtual reality?

It's one thing if you have a huge house and are setting up the in-home cinema thing, but I never understand it when someone buys some monster TV for a little living room (my parents did that and I keep asking if they expect people to sit outside to watch TV since it's awfully close to sit inside to watch that monstrous TV), or when they really can't afford it.

when i was younger i babysat some kids who had a big screen tv. it took up the whole wall, and was kinda crummy quality too... but it sure was pretty awesome when i'd watch the sexy guys on television. it was really cute too, cause i baby sat girls, so we'd have kissing contests...

The same reason people buy big cars.

kaos said:
The same reason people buy big cars.

So they feel safer in the event that they hit another TV?

haha , no i mean its bout bragging sometimes. my TV is bigger than yours, B!**h. At least that's the impression i get sometimes.

I met a guy just recently who has a projector dohicky so he can project the TV image onto the wall of his apartment. I thought that was pretty clever. It was also pretty cool to play a boxing video game called Fight Night with such a big image too.
I'd never want to buy a large television myself.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I met a guy just recently who has a projector dohicky so he can project the TV image onto the wall of his apartment. I thought that was pretty clever. It was also pretty cool to play a boxing video game called Fight Night with such a big image too.
I'd never want to buy a large television myself.
I have friends who do that, but then they got the projector super-cheap on eBay or some such thing because it needed repairs (they didn't know if it was repairable until they got it). It was a bit much in their last apartment because it was a small room and hard to even take in the whole screen/wall at once, but now they have a nicer apartment and you can sit back and enjoy it a bit more.

for some people their possessions make them feel better about themselves

like when someone buys an SUV or a pickup truck, and its not work related - they want to compensate for either their brain size or for the size of their genitalia

did he just say genitalia

Moonbear said:
I have friends who do that, but then they got the projector super-cheap on eBay or some such thing because it needed repairs (they didn't know if it was repairable until they got it). It was a bit much in their last apartment because it was a small room and hard to even take in the whole screen/wall at once, but now they have a nicer apartment and you can sit back and enjoy it a bit more.
It definitely seems like a better alternative. Doesn't take up too much room and I'm sure that not having a leviathan of entertainment technology sitting in your living room makes it easier to convince people to help you move.

TheStatutoryApe said:
It definitely seems like a better alternative. Doesn't take up too much room and I'm sure that not having a leviathan of entertainment technology sitting in your living room makes it easier to convince people to help you move.
:rofl: Yes, if you're going to invest in entertainment while living in an apartment, a projector is definitely easier to move! I've also seen houses where people have a roll down screen that mounts up by the ceiling. When you aren't watching, it rolls inconspicuously out of the way (such as for a party) and when you want to watch, you roll it down. It's good in a room where you either don't have a solid wall you can project toward (that was the case of the one where I saw it...they have a very open floor plan, so there's really no place to even stick a TV where you're not likely to stub a toe on an entertainment center, so the screen dropped down in the opening between two rooms), or want to be able to hang artwork or paint the wall, etc. If I were to invest in something that expensive, I think I'd prefer the projector approach rather than the wall-sized TV.

Why do people need televisions at all, for that matter?
The point being that people don't need television, they want it and what people want they want as much of it as they can get. Most of us are swine at heart.

What else do you expect? ..TV's visible only through microscopes?

Personally I'd get an HDTV projector.. saves space, essentially cheaper, and much easier to handle

Why do people need tvs larer then houses?
No one 'needs' a large TV. Some people simply 'want' a large TV. IMO, it's a waste of money. A large TV provides the same information as a small TV. But then, I seldom watch TV, since there are many more interesting matters to occupy my time. :biggrin: Besides, I don't like sitting still for long periods. :biggrin:

Dr.Brain said:
What else do you expect? ..TV's visible only through microscopes?
If those existed, I'd never get the students away from the microscopes, and I know they wouldn't be spending all those hours on them to get their work done either! :rolleyes:

Moonbear said:
If those existed, I'd never get the students away from the microscopes, and I know they wouldn't be spending all those hours on them to get their work done either! :rolleyes:
telemicroscopy- the new microscopy research idea

1. Why do people need TVs larger than houses?

People do not necessarily need TVs larger than houses, but they may choose to buy larger TVs for a more immersive viewing experience or to accommodate a larger group of viewers.

2. Is there scientific evidence that larger TVs are better for our health?

There is no scientific evidence that larger TVs are better for our health. However, watching TV for extended periods of time can have negative effects on our eyesight and posture regardless of the size of the TV.

3. Can watching TV on a smaller screen be just as enjoyable?

Yes, the size of the TV does not necessarily determine the enjoyment of the viewing experience. It ultimately depends on the content being watched and personal preferences.

4. Are larger TVs more energy efficient?

No, larger TVs typically require more energy to run compared to smaller TVs. This is because they have more pixels and use more energy to display a clear image.

5. How do larger TVs affect our environment and resources?

The production and disposal of larger TVs can have a negative impact on the environment and deplete resources. It is important to properly recycle old TVs and consider the environmental impact when purchasing a new one.