Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do people want to fly?

1. Jun 5, 2010 #1
    What do You think: why do we want to fly so badly?

Why did Daedalus and Icarus strap wings to themselves? Why did Wright brothers construct a plane? Why do we like to fly in lucid dreams? Why do we climb Mount Everest? What did we fly to the Moon for?

Why there is such a psychological flaw in us? Why do we, land animals, want to be birds?

I presume, we were angels once upon a time, but God took our wings back after the first sin.
    What do You think about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2010 #2
    Because we can't.

4. Jun 5, 2010 #3
    Same reason people want to ride go-carts when they own a car already. It's different. It's fun to ride in things.

5. Jun 5, 2010 #4
    Because it embodys the idea of freedom.

6. Jun 5, 2010 #5
    Because you can travel across an ocean and a continent in mere nine hours to see friends and relatives and do business. Something that took oh maybe 30 days in the time of Phileas Fogg

7. Jun 5, 2010 #6
    Although I would love the idea of being able to fly(i.e. wings) to some extent I'm glad we can not.
    Imagine the chaos and danger of flying drunk, for example.

8. Jun 5, 2010 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

Freedom from gravity. Why do people want freedom?

9. Jun 5, 2010 #8

Maybe because reality and everyday life so constraining and routine. And what could be better than flying your own 2-seater plane?

I think being able to fly is proof that God still loves us. :!!)

10. Jun 5, 2010 #9
    Flying would not be my first choice of superpower, but why not? It would make some things easier. No longer would I have a fear of heights.

11. Jun 5, 2010 #10
    I do not want to fly.

12. Jun 5, 2010 #11
    why not rootx? I like flying it's pretty fun I mean ya I wouldn't want to be in the air all day long but it's fun seeing the ground from way up above.

13. Jun 5, 2010 #12
    In a world full of people, only some want to fly. Isn't that crazy?

14. Jun 5, 2010 #13
    Because it would be awesome?

15. Jun 5, 2010 #14
    perhaps it is instinct. genetic memory from our days of soaring through that somewhat thicker atmosphere, the ocean.

16. Jun 6, 2010 #15
    I can't speak for everyone, but some of us crazy lunatics have had a compulsion to throw ourselves into the air. There's nothing like the rush of pushing a hang glider into a wind and lifting into the air. You're on your own, without a noisome motor. It's clean and pure. And sometimes at the best of moments, the wind doesn't let up, but increases and you are propelled skyward and upward beyond the bounds of Earth for a time too short. We struggle and fight gravity to stay in the sky. Beats me why. I don't do it any more. It's crazy.

17. Jun 6, 2010 #16

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

As an aside, Jules Verne might well have gotten his idea about Phileas Fogg&his wager from the real-life Irish adventurer and politician Thomas Whaley (1766-1800) ("Buck" Whaley)

Buck Whaley was an inveterate gambler, and in 1788, he made his "Jerusalem Wager".

Quoting from Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Whaley_(politician)

He wrote a memoir of his adventures, freely available on archive.org

18. Jun 6, 2010 #17
    Maybe these can explain why they want to fly:

21mywbs.jpg

I took this picture at 'Le Markstein' in France this afternoon.

Now who was talking about adventures and taking risks?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2010
  19. Jun 6, 2010 #18
    Let's be realistic! If we ever able to fly that wouldn't be like superman where we can fly for miles without getting tired and it would come with some costs. I am happy as such and I am not willing to lose current abilities to be able to fly.

20. Jun 6, 2010 #19
    rootX im starting to think you hate flying :(

21. Jun 6, 2010 #20
    Bet it's fun in the space station.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook