Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do poeple say Killing yourself is Bad?

1. Aug 14, 2009 #1
    I believe when a person thinks about suicide , it happens for a genetic reason.So why do poeple alway make up stupid positive thing like "life will get better" or "killing yourself is a sin"

I just think people need to understand how our brains work, if we are experiencing pain and suffering for a long period of time, then there's is no beneficial purpose to live on . Its apart of our evolution , mentally .

Stop saying its a sin because whatever is causing your life to suck so much is basically isn't being dealt with and your brain decides there no point in going on.

Depressions help us comprehend our situations to help us determine a problem while making us more realistic about our environment.

If you are Depressed because your fat and is suffering because of it . you ether get skinny or die because there would be no point in going on if you don't do something about it.

I don't know , I just think wanted to when there is to much pain and suffering is a natrual functionality to our brain.

All Society does is get you hooked up on drugs saying its a disease, but the truth is it's not.
    If you want to solve all the Depression problem , you need to look at what caused it , don't take drugs .

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2009 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

That's kind of a rambling post, but yes, if a person's life is nothing but misery with no possible way out, suicide should be considered a viable option. The problem is that most people who feel that way about their lives don't realize that there usually is a way out that doesn't involve suicide.

4. Aug 14, 2009 #3
    I highly doubt this.

Usually the person with depression is the one least able to help themselves. Their view of reality is warped negatively by their depression. The people around them don't understand their situation and it strains relationships, which only increases the depression. There is a social stigma associated with mental illnesses such as depression that causes some people to not seek help for their condition.

Just implying "get over it or die" without seeking treatment is bad advice. The drugs exist to save lives. They can remedy chemical imbalances to alleviate depression. Psychiatric counciling can be helpful in determining the cause of depression and altering behaviour to a more positive end. Things can change for the better, but serious cases of depression will need help reaching that point. Seeking help should be encouraged, not dismissed.

5. Aug 14, 2009 #4

jgens

Gold Member

I hope you realize that often times chemical depression arises from chemical imbalances in the brain which are not necessarily caused by specific events or occurences. Psychiatric drugs exist to help remedy this problem.

6. Aug 14, 2009 #5
    If you kill yourself, I will be sad. I will cry at your funeral. From time to time your face will come to my mind and I will miss you all over again.

But I will not blame myself for your death. Never think that because it won't happen.

7. Aug 14, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

While part of what you say is true, I think, there also seems to be little doubt that depression and more serious psychological conditions can be a result a brain chemistry problems, and are unrelated to life's circumstances. In fact, peopl will sometimes blame everything for their depression except the real problem - the brain. Just as it appears that there are people who are genetically predisposed to be happy, the opposite seems to be true as well. As we continue to gain a better understanding of brain chemistry, hopefully we will also learn more about correcting problems that result from nature's roulete wheel - life.

In many cases there is help available now. My experience has been that when people are depressed, they tend to withdraw rather than reaching out for help.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  8. Aug 14, 2009 #7

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Sadly, for many people, that isn't true; they're right in thinking the whole world is against them. Imagine this scenario: in his childhood, a boy was abused by his parents and not allowed to have friends. Suffering from stress, pain, and loneliness, he becomes an adult who has no idea how to socialize and alienates everybody he meets. If he enters a depression, nobody will come to help him; likely, nobody will know or care. Some people may even consider it a relief if he ever suicides.

I'm not just practicing my fiction writing skills; a lot of people have no friends and no supportive relatives. To think that every death is a tragedy is sadly an over-optimistic view of the world.

9. Aug 14, 2009 #8
    I agree with the OP. Luckally, Futurama tells us that in the year 3,000 there will be suicide booths.
    "Regular or extra painfull?"

10. Aug 14, 2009 #9
    Killing yourself is essentially murder of a human being. Our society doesn't condone murder. You can get by this in some states with authorization from your doctor.

11. Aug 14, 2009 #10
    I once went to W. Virgina with a friend to see his family farm, and bring back a horse. While on a tour of the farm, they pointed out the "hangin barn". I really thought that would be where they hung beef or pork, but I was wrong. It had a long history of family members who hung them selfs there, dating back to the Civil War era.
    Genetic? I don't believe so. I believe the history of suicide in the family made them feel like it was a acceptable practice.
    My friend hung himself when he was 32. He had acquired a very large debt with the IRS, in his note to his wife and kids, he hoped the insurance from his death would cover the debt. The insurance companies don't pay for suicide. All he got was a free one way trip back to W Virgina, and left a family face the world alone.

12. Aug 14, 2009 #11
    Because people report the same level of happiness regardless of what happens to them. People who win the lottery, or get one of their limbs blown off, are equally happy. Sadness is only a temporary thing and it makes the world a nicer place if others are comforting you and showing careness by not wanting you to die. The primary cause for suicide is thinking that nobody cares whether you live or die, therefore, you are essentially murdering people by not showing them care for their life. As for "killing yourself is a sin," I am fortunate not to know anyone so daft and have never heard the utterance.

I don't think you have good evidence to show that your statement is true. Experimental evidence shows the contrary. See, "Dan Gilbert: Why are we happy? Why aren't we happy?"

Only religious fanatics say that, and you should know that it is pointless to try to argue reason with a religious fanatic...luckily there don't seem to be any on this website..so drop it?

This sentence has no meaning. Please try to be more rational.

I cannot even respond to this statement because I am so distracted by the horrendous misuse of grammar.

Again, this makes no sense.

Right...

I agree that depression is caused by life experiences, and taking drugs in an attempt to artificially produce happiness is not the right way to solve the problem. Some people argue that certain people have a disease which makes them incapable of experiencing happiness, and that the drugs therefore fill an important role. Because emotions are governed by hormones, I find it highly likely that some such people do or have lived...however, since we have no way to actually diagnose such a problem, people are frequently diagnosed with a condition that is really just sadness due to their own self defeating behaviors and attitudes. I personally believe that our physiology is mostly dynamic, so that a person whose body does not produce the proper hormones needed to feel happiness, could probably stimulate their body to do so by changing their life outlook or habits.

13. Aug 14, 2009 #12
    Most insurance policies will pay if the suicide occurs two years or more after the policy is written.

14. Aug 14, 2009 #13

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Wow what a depressing yet silly thread.

I've never known, met, or heard of anyone who had come to the logical conclusion that suicide was the best option. It's silly. That's like someone in high school going "Oh I failed math, life is over, /wrist". I see a lot of people pinpoint why they're sad and then just blow it out of proportion until it's their entire life.

Has anyone ever heard of someone committing suicide that came out to be a 'plus' for those around them or even themselves?

15. Aug 14, 2009 #14

drizzle

Gold Member

uuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhh, what the.............urgghhhhhhh
    I'm wordless

16. Aug 14, 2009 #15
    Yes, but I don't think those suicides are related to the OP (depression).

17. Aug 14, 2009 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is complete nonsense. You should educate yourself with the current medical view of depression. http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/depression/complete-index.shtml" [Broken].

The part of you post that I bolded is a 1950's view of depression...."Pull yourself up by your bootstraps!!" It would be just as silly to tell that to a person with lung cancer.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  18. Aug 14, 2009 #17
    This is quite alarming. Did it come on with the digital age or is that just coincidence??

http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/news/20070906/dramatic-increase-in-teen-suicide

19. Aug 14, 2009 #18

See this is the point I was making about why we think about suicide. I find its stupid that somebody could simply come up and say that depressions are caused by disease and should take drugs to balance out the problem.

Being depress is no different then feeling pain, its apart of your brains system . Our physiology just say those stupid things to make money off drugs. They aren't targeting the problem at all. maybe some people were born with some chemical imbalance but i know damn well everybody who experience depression knows its not some disease.

20. Aug 14, 2009 #19
    Its not considered a disease in the conventional sense. It is considered a disorder, your brain is not functioning properly. Perhaps you have never personally suffered from clinical depression or known anyone who has but the general idea is that a person with clinical depression is unable to properly function in society. They have trouble normally and logically evaluating their life situation and finding solutions for their problems. This is generally due to nuero-chemical imbalances that they have very little control over.

Note that clinical depression is not the same as your average every day depression.

Its actually quite common among the religious to believe that suicide is a sin. More accurately perhaps, that you damage your soul or that you will not complete the tests and trials that one is supposed to go through in life before leaving it.

Not to support such ideas or anything. Just pointing out that it is not only a religious fanatics idea. It is quite common from what I understand.

21. Aug 14, 2009 #20

jgens

Gold Member

Well, while depression isn't a disease in the "typical" sense, depression does seem to fit the definition of disease from merriam-webster and wikipedia (granted, these aren't authoritative medical sources).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/disease

Depends, pain usually arises from a specific event (for example, you fall and "skin" your knees) whereas clinical depression often doesn't arise from external stimuli. Some people, like my sister, just have/had chemical imbalances in their brain.

The drugs designed to combat depression certainly do target the problem in many cases! In fact, since clinical depression arises simply from chemical imbalances in the brain these drugs can fix or alleviate the problem.

That's interesting because my experience seems to show just the opposite. I had a sister that suffered from severe clinical depression for 10 years before she committed suicide. My sister certainly regarded her depression as a disease. One of the greatest problems with the POV that you present is that strictly speaking, it's uneducated. In general, people have very little control of their brain chemistry and this is why the "pick yourselves up by your boot-straps" campaign doesn't work for people suffering from severe mental illness. People with psychiatric disorders can however be treated with either medication or counseling.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook