Why do resistors in series receive the same current

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between current and resistance in a circuit with multiple resistors. The analogy of a river is used to explain how current can distribute itself among different resistances. It is also clarified that resistors resist current flow and dissipate energy, causing a voltage drop. The concept of cumulative voltage drops in a series circuit and division of current in a parallel circuit is explained. The purpose of a resistor is to resist current flow and dissipate power, according to Ohm's Law. The conversation ends with a clarification on the relationship between power and work in this context.
sameeralord
Helllo guys,

I was wandering why was this the case. If there were 3 resistors (Let's say 100ohms,200ohms,300ohms) in this seriec how can they receive the same current if resistance is inversly proportional to current. Shouldn't the 300 ohms one receive the least current. I thought resistors decrease the current what do they really do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :smile: :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
A simple explanation I can think of is an analogy. Current is somewhat like water in a river. If the water ran faster at one point and slower at another, the river would not be a stable system! When the wire branches, however, the current can distribute itself according to the resistances of the branches and determine their specific currents.

Not sure if that helps or if it's what you wanted to hear, but that's how I see the issue.

EDIT: Upon thinking of my analogy I realized a potential problem. Water does flow faster in some areas of a river than others. This is because the depth changes, but the volume of water flowing past a point remains constant.

Last edited:
Nabeshin said:
A simple explanation I can think of is an analogy. Current is somewhat like water in a river. If the water ran faster at one point and slower at another, the river would not be a stable system! When the wire branches, however, the current can distribute itself according to the resistances of the branches and determine their specific currents.

Not sure if that helps or if it's what you wanted to hear, but that's how I see the issue.

EDIT: Upon thinking of my analogy I realized a potential problem. Water does flow faster in some areas of a river than others. This is because the depth changes, but the volume of water flowing past a point remains constant.

Good analogy. I like it:smile:. So what do the resisotors really do then. So they don't decrease the current.

I think resistors sole purpose is to resist current flow, thereby dissipating energy, causing a voltage drop.

Nabeshin said:
I think resistors sole purpose is to resist current flow, thereby dissipating energy, causing a voltage drop.

Well then with this formula I=V/R doesn't that mean current is inversly proportional to resistance. V=IR. Higher the resistance higher the voltage.

What you're saying is correct, I just think you might be interpreting the equations wrong. Yes, current is inversely proportional to resistance. That is, a resistor with higher resistance will receive less current than one with less resistance. Also, the higher the resistance the higher the voltage drop across a given resistor in a circuit.

sameeralord said:
Helllo guys,

I was wondering why was this the case. If there were 3 resistors (Let's say 100ohms,200ohms,300ohms) in this series how can they receive the same current if resistance is inversely proportional to current. Shouldn't the 300 ohms one receive the least current. I thought resistors decrease the current what do they really do. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :smile: :smile:

The problem here is that you're defining a series circuit of three resistors and then proceeding to analyze three circuits of one resistor each. The series circuit is really about cumulative voltage drops and not the division of current while a parallel circuit is about a division of current and not about cumulative voltage drops. The series circuit gives you one current and three voltages through and across each of the resistors while the parallel circuit gives you three currents and one voltage through and across each resistor. In the series case you have 600 ohms of resistance that the source sees and in the parallel case you have 54.5 ohms of equivalent resistance that the source sees. In the parallel case, of the three resistors, the 300 ohm resistor would see the lowest current. If you were using a 12 volt source the series circuit would draw 20 ma and the parallel circuit would draw 220 ma. As to what the resistor actually does, it dissipates power P=E(I) or P=I^2(R) according to the characteristic of Ohm's Law.

Chris

ctjen said:
The problem here is that you're defining a series circuit of three resistors and then proceeding to analyze three circuits of one resistor each. The series circuit is really about cumulative voltage drops and not the division of current while a parallel circuit is about a division of current and not about cumulative voltage drops. The series circuit gives you one current and three voltages through and across each of the resistors while the parallel circuit gives you three currents and one voltage through and across each resistor. In the series case you have 600 ohms of resistance that the source sees and in the parallel case you have 54.5 ohms of equivalent resistance that the source sees. In the parallel case, of the three resistors, the 300 ohm resistor would see the lowest current. If you were using a 12 volt source the series circuit would draw 20 ma and the parallel circuit would draw 220 ma. As to what the resistor actually does, it dissipates power P=E(I) or P=I^2(R) according to the characteristic of Ohm's Law.

Chris

WOW!:smile:. This is one of the best answers I have seen in this forum. Thanks a lot I really understand your explanation. Yeah you were right I have being thinking about the series current as three separate circuits. The power thing is where I'm bit unsure. Isn't power the rate of workdone. Why is the resistor affecting the rate of workdone rather than work(energy). Great answer anyways. Thanks again :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
sameeralord said:
WOW!:smile:. This is one of the best answers I have seen in this forum. Thanks a lot I really understand your explanation. Yeah you were right I have being thinking about the series current as three separate circuits. The power thing is where I'm bit unsure. Isn't power the rate of workdone. Why is the resistor affecting the rate of workdone rather than work(energy). Great answer anyways. Thanks again :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Looking at it again I should have said "Dissipates energy..." with dissipation indicating the time factor of power.

Chris

1. Why do resistors in series receive the same current?

Resistors in series receive the same current because they are connected in a single path, with the same current flowing through each resistor. This is due to the principle of conservation of current, which states that the total current entering a junction must equal the total current leaving the junction.

2. What happens if resistors in series have different values?

If resistors in series have different values, the current will vary across each resistor. The resistor with the highest value will have the least amount of current flowing through it, while the resistor with the lowest value will have the most current flowing through it. This is because the current will follow the path of least resistance.

3. How does the total resistance change when resistors are connected in series?

The total resistance of resistors in series is equal to the sum of all the individual resistances. This means that as more resistors are added in series, the total resistance increases. This is because the current has to flow through each resistor, which adds to the overall resistance of the circuit.

4. Can resistors in series have a total resistance of zero?

No, resistors in series cannot have a total resistance of zero. This is because even if one resistor has a value of zero, the other resistors in series will still have some resistance and the total resistance will not be zero. Additionally, if all the resistors in series have a value of zero, there would be no circuit for the current to flow through.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of resistors in series?

Understanding the concept of resistors in series is important because it is a fundamental concept in circuit analysis. Many electronic devices and systems are designed using resistors in series, and being able to calculate the total resistance and current in a series circuit is crucial in understanding how these devices work. Additionally, understanding resistors in series is essential in troubleshooting and repairing circuits.