WHY do vernier calliper works?

• Thread starter babita
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Works
In summary, the Vernier calliper works by comparing two lengths and measuring the distance between them. The coinciding lines on the main and Vernier scales indicate the difference in length between the two. The alignment of the lower part of the Vernier scale to 0 and the markings being exactly at the edges make it easier to calculate the distance moved when the Vernier scale is adjusted.
babita
WHY do vernier calliper works?

Homework Statement

This is not exactly a problem but i think this is the most appropriate place to post this.
I know how to read a vernier calliper. But i want to know WHY it works. I mean how it gives us the true length.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been thinking on it for a long time and I'm not able to conclude why we see coinciding lines.
Also if the 0's on vernier and main scale are marked exactly at the edges wouldn't it be easier to use?
please explain...please don't write just a line or two...i'm going mad

Attachments

• vfig01a[1].jpg
    vfig01a[1].jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org

When you align example 3mm, the lower part align to 0.
You can see that unit 1 of lower scale is 1/10 nearer to main scale
This continue 2->2/10...9->9/10

If you move the vernier scale, the distance moved can be measured from initial position to final position. The one that align must be the easiest to calculate the distance moved.

well i didnt really understand that...but anyways I've got the logic
We're comparing two lengths, one is having one more no of divisions than the other.
and so on.
(since u already know I'm skipping explanation)

1. Why is a vernier caliper considered a precision measuring tool?

A vernier caliper is considered a precision measuring tool because it allows for highly accurate measurements, down to 0.01 millimeters. This is due to its dual scale measurement system, with the main scale being in millimeters and the vernier scale being in tenths of a millimeter.

2. How does a vernier caliper work?

A vernier caliper works by using two scales: a main scale and a vernier scale. The main scale is fixed and measures in millimeters, while the vernier scale slides along the main scale and measures in tenths of a millimeter. When the two scales line up, the measurement is read from the vernier scale, allowing for precision measurements.

3. What are the main components of a vernier caliper?

The main components of a vernier caliper include the main scale, vernier scale, jaws, depth probe, locking screw, and measuring faces. The main and vernier scales are used for measuring length, the jaws are used for measuring external and internal diameters, the depth probe is used for measuring depths, and the locking screw holds the measurement in place.

4. Why is a vernier caliper preferred over a ruler for measuring small objects?

A vernier caliper is preferred over a ruler for measuring small objects because it allows for more precise measurements. The vernier scale allows for measurements to the hundredth of a millimeter, while a ruler typically only measures to the nearest millimeter. This is especially helpful when measuring very small objects, where even a small error in measurement can make a big difference.

5. How do you use a vernier caliper?

To use a vernier caliper, first unlock the locking screw and open the jaws to the desired width. Place the object to be measured between the jaws and gently close them until they are snug against the object. Read the measurement from the main scale and the vernier scale, and add them together to get the final measurement. If needed, use the depth probe to measure the depth of the object. Finally, lock the locking screw to keep the measurement in place.