Why Do We Exist? Feeling Confused and Depressed

• Thread starter chandubaba
  • Start date
In summary: I must not kill because it's bad," "I must not steal because it's bad," "I must not lie because it's bad." But without a divine being to enforce these "moral codes," people are left to make their own. And often, this leads to people committing evil because they believe it's right, or because they feel they have to because it's considered "cool."
Don't worry, Dawguard, I won't dodge your question. I'll answer later.

Physics news on Phys.org
They are almost always concerned with maintaining the survival of the individual within a civil and well ordered community or society.

Where does slavely fit into that picture?

verty said:
Where does slavely fit into that picture?

Slavery was the early form of an automated society. It was the advent of new, ethical morals that ditched slavery for a proletariat and consumer based industrial society.

Slavery was wide-spread for thousands of years and was probably considered an upstanding part of a moral society. But these societies sooner or later became dismantled either by constant war and reprisals between factions or by a change in the moral thinking of their community and leaders.

But I digress from the topic and question of this thread which is "why do we exist".

The best answer can only be "because we exist".

This is because there is going to be a different answer from everyone asked that question. Its not a "we" kind of question or answer unless you happen to be royalty.

Last edited:
Dawguard said:
Morals a religious idea, not a scientific or philosophical one, and that is a fact. Matter and motion have no morals, because morals are, as I said, religious concepts.
No, you are WRONG, it is not a fact. You are claiming your opinion as a fact, in spite of the fact that you've already been proven wrong. See post 21.

Since I posted the definition of morals that clearly shows that religion has nothing to do with morals, other than a certain religion may add their own personal additional rules. Now you need to provide valid documentation backing up your claims. So far you have not supported your claims.

Last edited:
We exist because we belong to this Universe.

Evo said:
No, you are WRONG, it is not a fact. You are claiming your opinion as a fact, in spite of the fact that you've already been proven wrong. See post 21.

Since I posted the definition of morals that clearly shows that religion has nothing to do with morals, other than a certain religion may add their own personal additional rules. Now you need to provide valid documentation backing up your claims. So far you have not supported your claims.

The very concept of right and wrong that are at the heart of morals are indeed inherently religious. For instance, murder is morally wrong, and according to your defenition it is because most people think it is wrong. However, that is not all there is to it, because people think murder is wrong for a reason. The question still remains, why, why do people think it is wrong? Ultimatly, that can only be answered by religion, because scientifically murder is simply an act, and there is no metaphysical nature of right and wrong, because in science there are no metaphysics: just matter and motion. Sure, your particular defenition makes religion look un-needed to have morals, but that is because that particular defenition fails to adress the entire topic of morals, and is therefore shallow in its answer. Please, think critically about this and do not throw out dictionary quotes as absolute, infalible proof for such a lengthy problem.

Likes EM_Guy
Well, this thread has deteriorated into repeated nonsense, time to close it up.