Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Why do we feel weak/energetic when homonal level is low/high?

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    I guess what I am trying say here is that if the our weakness depends on the muscle getting enough oxygen then what do sperms have to do with it?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2
    Sperm have nothing to do with it. Could you explain how you think they do?

Our muscles feel weak and burn when they work too hard and have not enough oxygen.

We feel weak and tired overall when our brain tells us we feel that way, and this can be because of hormones, neurotransmitters, decreased oxygen in the brain, and maybe more things.

Sperm don't do a whole lot that I can see (they do have 1 important function, but I think that's it).

4. Sep 9, 2007 #3
    Well, when I masturbate, lets say twice before the day I have a tournament(and I havn't done it in 2 weeks), my stamina and focus is decreased. I tried searching about it internet, and found that although, physical stamina remains, mental enthusiasm drains. Some say it is b/c of unneccesary guilt. What do you think?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2007
  5. Sep 9, 2007 #4
  6. Sep 9, 2007 #5
    Hmmm, it's not so obvious to me why this would be so. My 30 seconds of research failed to answer this for me, and I don't really have much time for more at the moment.

7. Sep 9, 2007 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

30 seconds!? Wow. Slow down there buddy. You might get burns.
    Don't have much time? Or can't concentrate?

OK. Enough with the easy low-brow stuff.

I too am not convinced that ejaculation wastes testosterone. In fact, it is plausible that, with regular use, it increases it.

8. Sep 10, 2007 #7
    I guess you are right....but why do we feel weak after ejaculation?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  9. Sep 10, 2007 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Your whole body has undergone the equivalent of a seizure.

Either that or evolutionarily, we evolved to move slowly afterwards so that cavewmoen would stand a fighting chance of keeping us around.:biggrin:

10. Sep 10, 2007 #9
    :rofl: Haha, nicely done.

11. Sep 10, 2007 #10
    enough jokes guys but reaaly...no one has really answered my question yet.

12. Sep 10, 2007 #11

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Again, your whole body has undergone the equivalent of a seizure.

13. Sep 15, 2007 #12
    Is this an opinion or fact?

14. Sep 15, 2007 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Definitely opinion.

15. Sep 15, 2007 #14

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Here is an article that describes the physiological processes in orgasm and immediately following. It's not the best source of info, but I think it might put you on the right track.

paras 2 and 3 talk about the exertions involved.
    para 4 talks about oxytocin.

16. Sep 15, 2007 #15
    Lol, it tells oxytocin has something to do w/ it but doesn't tell what.(and how its related to causing weakness)

17. Sep 15, 2007 #16
    I don't think that test come out the end with the little swimmies.

I know that test is needed though for the production and maintenance of the reproductive system in males, but I think the body will adjust it as needed to what it thinks is the right amount.

Right after sex I tend to be more energetic, but a little while later I get sleepy. I would tend to think that man, as a wild creature, would need a little get up and go after copulation with a female in the wild. So maybe the levels of test are boosted to accomplish this. Or it may more likely be adrenaline. When this wears off you get a little frazzled and burnt out.

This could be the rebound effect of the excess test converting to estrogen. Or just the adrenaline wearing off.

I can tell you though, from personal experience of my own, that increased levels of test in the body does not do as much for your energy levels as the general public thinks it does :wink:

Jim

18. Sep 15, 2007 #17

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Try wiki'ing some of the terms: oxytocin, ejaculation, orgasm.

The orgasm entry says this:

"After orgasm, humans often feel tired and a need to rest. This is attributed to the release of prolactin..."

And then the prolactin entry says:

"[An effect of prolactin] is to provide the body with sexual gratification after sexual acts. The hormone represses the effect of dopamine, which is responsible for sexual arousal, thus causing the sexual refractory period..."

19. Sep 17, 2007 #18
    I did try Wiki search...so are saying, all it does is makes me antihorny for while which gives the illusion of weakness? You know, never mind this question...I got another question which is more logical and will answer the same thing. Why does greater level of testosterone leads to more energy?

20. Dec 19, 2008 #19
    Hi, Skhandelwal. Are your symptoms during at least 1 or 2 days after orgasm ? Maybe you can make a search on Post-Orgasmic Illness Syndrome to find more details.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?