Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we have mass?

1. Aug 22, 2004 #1
    Why do we have mass? How can we explain it?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2004 #2
    Scientist are unable to explain why mass is here.

4. Aug 22, 2004 #3
    [tex] E = mc^2 [/tex] Mass is energy.

5. Aug 22, 2004 #4
    He is not asking that.

6. Aug 22, 2004 #5
    I see him asking this: What composes mass? The relation between mass and energy is not valid to answer that question. Mass is a condensed form of energy and not a composition of mass.

7. Aug 22, 2004 #6
    It would be she (;

Why do we have energy then? I can explain why we have volume, but when it comes to mass or energy, i can't find a word to say.

8. Aug 22, 2004 #7
    In order to better understand your question, are you taking anything for granted? For example, are you also asking why we have time and space, and why we have the universe? By the way, I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "we have" rather than something such as "there exists".

If you explain why you think that "we have" volume, then prehaps we others will better understand the perspective behind your question.

9. Aug 23, 2004 #8
    As i undrestood, in physics, we can't ask ''why'', we can just ask ''how''..... According to your sentences, i suspected what i know!

10. Aug 23, 2004 #9
    Why do we have volume?

11. Aug 23, 2004 #10
    I think questions like these belong on the philosophy forum.

12. Aug 23, 2004 #11
    In my opinion this is the correct forum for these questions. E.g. I believe particle physicists are now saying that there is something called a Higgs field which is responsible for the mass of particles. As far as why we have volume, well that's a legitimate and involved question which includes the topic of space and that's something Einstein touches on in one of his relativity books.

Pete

13. Aug 23, 2004 #12
    and what is responsibe for this higgs field?

14. Aug 23, 2004 #13
    I am rather wondering how canopus explains volume. Personnally, I do find the question philosophically inclined.

15. Aug 23, 2004 #14
    Because we aren't invariant under time translations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?