What Connects Mass, Energy, and Time Translations?

• Thread starter canopus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, the conversation centers around the questions of why we have mass and energy, and how they can be explained. It is mentioned that scientists are unable to fully explain why mass exists, but it is known that mass is a condensed form of energy. There is also discussion about the relationship between mass and energy, and how it can be understood. Some suggest that questions like these belong in the philosophy forum, while others believe they are relevant to physics. The concept of a Higgs field is also brought up as a possible explanation for mass. Lastly, the topic of volume is mentioned and its connection to space and time is discussed.
canopus
Why do we have mass? How can we explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Scientist are unable to explain why mass is here.

[tex] E = mc^2 [/tex] Mass is energy.

He is not asking that.

I see him asking this: What composes mass? The relation between mass and energy is not valid to answer that question. Mass is a condensed form of energy and not a composition of mass.

It would be she (;

Why do we have energy then? I can explain why we have volume, but when it comes to mass or energy, i can't find a word to say.

canopus said:
Why do we have mass?
canopus said:
Why do we have energy then?
In order to better understand your question, are you taking anything for granted? For example, are you also asking why we have time and space, and why we have the universe? By the way, I am not sure that I understand what you mean by "we have" rather than something such as "there exists".

I can explain why we have volume
If you explain why you think that "we have" volume, then prehaps we others will better understand the perspective behind your question.

As i undrestood, in physics, we can't ask ''why'', we can just ask ''how''... According to your sentences, i suspected what i know!

Why do we have volume?

I think questions like these belong on the philosophy forum.

Nenad said:
I think questions like these belong on the philosophy forum.
In my opinion this is the correct forum for these questions. E.g. I believe particle physicists are now saying that there is something called a Higgs field which is responsible for the mass of particles. As far as why we have volume, well that's a legitimate and involved question which includes the topic of space and that's something Einstein touches on in one of his relativity books.

Pete

pmb_phy said:
In my opinion this is the correct forum for these questions. E.g. I believe particle physicists are now saying that there is something called a Higgs field which is responsible for the mass of particles. As far as why we have volume, well that's a legitimate and involved question which includes the topic of space and that's something Einstein touches on in one of his relativity books.

Pete

and what is responsibe for this higgs field?

pmb_phy said:
...As far as why we have volume, well that's a legitimate and involved question which includes the topic of space and that's something Einstein touches on in one of his relativity books.

Pete

I am rather wondering how canopus explains volume. Personnally, I do find the question philosophically inclined.

canopus said:
Why do we have energy then?
Because we aren't invariant under time translations.

1. Why do objects have mass?

Objects have mass because they are made up of particles such as atoms and subatomic particles, which all have mass. The more particles an object has, the greater its mass will be.

2. What gives particles their mass?

The Standard Model of particle physics states that particles gain their mass by interacting with the Higgs field, an energy field that permeates the entire universe. The more strongly a particle interacts with the Higgs field, the more mass it will have.

3. Why do some particles have more mass than others?

The amount of mass a particle has is determined by its interactions with the Higgs field. Particles that have more interactions with the Higgs field will have more mass, while particles with weaker interactions will have less mass.

4. Is mass the same as weight?

No, mass and weight are not the same. Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

5. Can mass be created or destroyed?

According to the Law of Conservation of Mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one form to another. Therefore, the total mass of a closed system will remain constant, no matter what physical or chemical changes occur within it.