Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we have to constantly change our password?

1. Apr 27, 2005 #1
    Why do we have to constantly change our password after a set number of days? I believe it's 180 days? I just don't see the point; it's not like our accounts have anything of importance.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2005 #2

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think it's that often you need to update your password. I only remember doing it once. I think it serves two purposes: 1) protects your account here and 2) updates the member list, so if you don't update your password, the system knows you're no longer active (at least I think that's how it's done).

4. Apr 28, 2005 #3

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

180 days would be sweet, where I work they seem to know exactly when I finally learn my password. 'Cuz when I do get it learned it is time to change it!

5. Apr 28, 2005 #4
    did not know we had to do that every 180 days? Even if we had to, it's no effort at all, isn't it ?

marlon

6. Apr 28, 2005 #5
    It is not used for this purpose; I should know this since I develop vBulletin modifications :)

In the administrator control panel, they can already see when you last visited, when you last posted, and when your last activity was.

Anyways, I find this requirement to change passwords really extra work and quite useless. I'm sure there are several members that are annoyed by this, but of course don't bother to say anything about it.

7. Apr 28, 2005 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know, it doesn't seem like that much work to me. It's certainly less than every 180 days since I've been here over a year and only once had to update my information, and that was after a site upgrade. Though, there could be stuff in the private journals that people do want to keep private, thus password security would be a good idea. If you really don't have anything here that you care about protecting, then just use two passwords and swap back and forth between them. Or change your password and then change it back.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?