Why do we have to constantly change our password?

• Thread starter Gary King
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the requirement to frequently change passwords, with one participant questioning the necessity and usefulness of this practice. The other participant explains that it serves two purposes: protecting the account and updating the member list. They also mention that this requirement may not be necessary since administrators can already track member activity through the control panel. Some members may find this requirement inconvenient, but it is recommended to have a secure password for private information. It is suggested to use two passwords and alternate between them or change the password and then change it back.
Gary King
Why do we have to constantly change our password after a set number of days? I believe it's 180 days? I just don't see the point; it's not like our accounts have anything of importance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it's that often you need to update your password. I only remember doing it once. I think it serves two purposes: 1) protects your account here and 2) updates the member list, so if you don't update your password, the system knows you're no longer active (at least I think that's how it's done).

180 days would be sweet, where I work they seem to know exactly when I finally learn my password. 'Cuz when I do get it learned it is time to change it!

Gary King said:
Why do we have to constantly change our password after a set number of days? I believe it's 180 days? I just don't see the point; it's not like our accounts have anything of importance.

did not know we had to do that every 180 days? Even if we had to, it's no effort at all, isn't it ?

marlon

Moonbear said:
I don't think it's that often you need to update your password. I only remember doing it once. I think it serves two purposes: 1) protects your account here and 2) updates the member list, so if you don't update your password, the system knows you're no longer active (at least I think that's how it's done).
It is not used for this purpose; I should know this since I develop vBulletin modifications :)

In the administrator control panel, they can already see when you last visited, when you last posted, and when your last activity was.

Anyways, I find this requirement to change passwords really extra work and quite useless. I'm sure there are several members that are annoyed by this, but of course don't bother to say anything about it.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like that much work to me. It's certainly less than every 180 days since I've been here over a year and only once had to update my information, and that was after a site upgrade. Though, there could be stuff in the private journals that people do want to keep private, thus password security would be a good idea. If you really don't have anything here that you care about protecting, then just use two passwords and swap back and forth between them. Or change your password and then change it back.

1. Why do we have to constantly change our password?

Regularly changing passwords is an important security measure to protect personal information. As technology evolves, so do hackers' methods of stealing passwords. Changing passwords regularly decreases the likelihood of someone gaining unauthorized access to an account.

2. How often should we change our password?

The frequency of password changes varies depending on a company's security policies. In general, it is recommended to change passwords every 3-6 months, or more frequently if there has been a security breach or suspicious activity on the account.

3. Is it necessary to have complex passwords?

Yes, using complex passwords with a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters makes it more difficult for hackers to guess or crack the password. Avoid using easily guessable information such as birthdays or common phrases.

4. Can using the same password for multiple accounts pose a security risk?

Yes, using the same password for multiple accounts increases the risk of a security breach. If a hacker gains access to one account, they can potentially access all accounts with the same password. It is important to use unique passwords for each account.

5. Are there any alternative security measures to constantly changing passwords?

Yes, many companies have implemented multi-factor authentication as an additional security measure. This involves providing a second form of verification, such as a code sent to a phone, before allowing access to an account. This can help prevent unauthorized access even if a password is compromised.