Why do we have to use operators in QM?

In summary: This is a little confusing. Can you please explain it in a simpler way?In summary, in quantum mechanics we use operators to describe the system. We use them to connect different quantities together and to understand how the system behaves. Classical mechanics also uses operators to describe the system, but they are used to calculate the forces or the Lagrangian.
hasan_researc
Why do we have to use operators in QM?

Physics news on Phys.org

B/c it works. It is a mathematical formalism which successfully describes nature. I don't think that we can explain this based on a deeper reason.

We are also using operators in classical mechanics. For instance when solving differential equations we use sometimes Laplace or Fourier transform. Laplace and Fourier transforms are operators. Every function on the phase space is an operator (multiplication operator) - they commute. Translations and rotations acting on such functions are operators - they do not commute.

tom.stoer said:
B/c it works. It is a mathematical formalism which successfully describes nature. I don't think that we can explain this based on a deeper reason.

What do you mean by "a mathematical formalism" ? :confused:

There are so many mathemaical tools available to physicists. How did physicists know that they had to use operators?

Why/how do operators work anyway?

arkajad said:
We are also using operators in classical mechanics. For instance when solving differential equations we use sometimes Laplace or Fourier transform. Laplace and Fourier transforms are operators. Every function on the phase space is an operator (multiplication operator) - they commute. Translations and rotations acting on such functions are operators - they do not commute.

How are Laplace and Fourier transforms operators?

"Every function on the phase space is an operator (multiplication operator) - they commute. Translations and rotations acting on such functions are operators - they do not commute." :
I don't really understand this. I am only a second year physicist. Would you mind explaining this more elaborately?

Fourier transform F applied to a function f gives you another function F(f). The map is linear. So, you gave a linear operator. By the Plancherel's theorem this is a unitary operator. Moreover its square is the inversion:

(F^2 f)(x) = f(-x)

Very interesting operator. But I am not sure if being a second year physicist you have already met with Fourier's transform?

arkajad said:
Fourier transform F applied to a function f gives you another function F(f). The map is linear. So, you gave a linear operator. By the Plancherel's theorem this is a unitary operator. Moreover its square is the inversion:

(F^2 f)(x) = f(-x)

Very interesting operator. But I am not sure if being a second year physicist you have already met with Fourier's transform?

Yes I have met Fourier transforms.

But I don't understand why it is a linear opeartor.

Fourier transforms are linear operators because integration is linear.

You probably learned in Calculus I that [itex]\int af(x)+ bg(x)dx= a\int f(x)dx+ b\int g(x)dx[/itex] where a and b are constants.

Thanks!

I'm still wondering if anyone would take on the challenge of answering my other question? :cool:

You use operators everywhere in physics not just in quantum mechanics.

Every time you take a derivative or an integral of some function you've used an operator.

In physics generally operators can be thought of like this:

Suppose you are walking down the street. There are many parameters that can be used to describe this. Position, velocity, momentum, acceleration, etc...

All of these quantities can be collectively grouped together and interconnected in quantum they are grouped together by the wave function for a given system. These quantities can be seen by using certain operators on the wave function.

It's not just in QM that we use operators. The only thing that changes is that you have to take extra caution with the operators you do use in QM. That's really the motivation for learning a little bit of abstract algebra in QM.

Asking why we use operators is like asking why we use a derivative of position to describe velocity.

Feldoh said:
All of these quantities can be collectively grouped together and interconnected in quantum they are grouped together by the wave function for a given system. These quantities can be seen by using certain operators on the wave function.

Would you please elaborate?

Feldoh said:
It's not just in QM that we use operators. The only thing that changes is that you have to take extra caution with the operators you do use in QM. That's really the motivation for learning a little bit of abstract algebra in QM.

I don't really get the last two sentences.

In physics we talk about stuff happening within a system. But before we can talk about of the stuff in our system behaves have a way to describe our system.

In quantum mechanics the way to describe our system is with the wave function.

In classical mechanics you can describe the system using the sum of the forces or the Lagrangian, etc...

Once we have a general description of the system we can observe any of the quantities you would be interested in using operators, to operate on our system.

1. Why do we need operators in quantum mechanics?

Operators are used in quantum mechanics to represent physical observables such as position, momentum, and energy. These operators allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and calculate the probabilities of different outcomes.

2. How do operators work in quantum mechanics?

Operators in quantum mechanics act on quantum states, transforming them into new states. The result of applying an operator to a state is called an eigenstate, which represents a measurable value of the corresponding physical observable.

3. Can you give an example of an operator in quantum mechanics?

One example of an operator in quantum mechanics is the position operator, represented by the symbol x. When applied to a quantum state, this operator gives the position of the particle in space. Other common operators include the momentum operator (p) and the energy operator (E).

4. Why are operators important in understanding quantum systems?

Operators are essential in quantum mechanics because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. By using operators to calculate the probabilities of different outcomes, we can gain a better understanding of how particles and systems behave at the quantum level.

5. How are operators related to the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, which states that certain properties of a particle cannot be simultaneously known with precision, is closely related to operators in quantum mechanics. This is because operators represent physical observables, and the uncertainty principle arises when trying to measure these observables simultaneously. The use of operators allows us to mathematically describe and understand the limitations imposed by the uncertainty principle on quantum systems.