Why Do We Laugh? - Exploring the Science Behind Laughter

• Thread starter Myriad209
  • Start date
In summary, laughter is a tension-relief mechanism which can be set in motion by a variety of causes. We laugh because we think something is funny.
Myriad209
I've never seen this discussion in a forum anywhere... but I'd really like to know if there is a scientific explanation for laughing. We seem to laugh on a daily basis and me, over the silliest of things. Simple controversial use of words can trigger laughing. But it always seems that something out of the ordinary is funny, even sadistic things. Like I saw a video of this cat's head get chopped off by a sunroof (fake don't worry) it sounds horrible yet watching made me crack up.

Physics news on Phys.org
We laugh because we outselves think the things we are watching are funny.

Persefone said:
We laugh because we outselves think the things we are watching are funny.

That misses the point of the question. Why do we have this particular physical reaction - a spasmodic exhalation - to finding something funny? I don't think science really knows. I don't think science has a good line on "funny" for that matter.

On its most general level, I'd say laughing is a tension-relief mechanism which can be set in motion by a variety of causes.
That's a mere opinion, of course, no scientific fact.

Last edited:
Humans are the only known species to laugh, and its much more complex then most of us know. When something makes us laugh till we tear up, we're using 90% of our bodies muscles, and our brains fireing so many signals, that its hard to measure.
It does make us feel better, and heal better after a trauma.
We know we can't control laughing, its built into our nero/network, so it happens automatically. Babies start to laugh by the age of 4 months. So its also a form of communication.
It has social aspects too...don't we all dread being laughed at?
I would imagine there are many reasons why we laugh.

Last edited:
Ever heard about hyenas laughing..? :wink:

lol, I was actually very close to a pack of them once, needless to say I didn't share there sense of humor.
"ha ha ha let's eat the skinny girl"

Why do we laugh?
I was going to say, because we think something is funny.

Actually, it has positive feedback in the cerebral neural circuits, IIRC dopamine release. It must do something positive, because we seem to prefer laughing to other alternatives. :biggrin:

1. Why do we laugh?

Laughter is a complex physiological response that involves the activation of multiple regions in the brain. It is believed to have evolved as a way for humans to communicate and bond with others, as well as a means of releasing tension and reducing stress.

2. What triggers laughter?

Laughter can be triggered by a variety of stimuli, such as funny jokes, amusing situations, and even physical sensations like tickling. It is thought that the brain evaluates these stimuli and determines if they are incongruent or unexpected, leading to a burst of laughter.

3. Is laughter contagious?

Yes, laughter can be contagious. When we hear or see someone else laughing, it can activate mirror neurons in our brain that mimic their behavior. This can cause us to also laugh, even if we don't fully understand the source of the laughter.

4. Can laughter have health benefits?

Yes, laughter has been shown to have numerous health benefits. It can boost the immune system, reduce stress and anxiety, and even lower blood pressure. It can also improve mood and increase feelings of social connection.

5. Are there different types of laughter?

Yes, there are different types of laughter, including genuine, polite, nervous, and fake laughter. Each type of laughter is associated with different emotions and motivations, and can even have different effects on our bodies and brains.