Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we like natural scenery?

1. Jun 5, 2015 #1
    Why do most of the people like natural scenery (with varying degrees, of course)?

Is it in our genes? Does it serve an evolutionary purpose?

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Any source for that, or is it just something you've made up?

4. Jun 5, 2015 #3
    I find this from experience with the people that I have met at various places.

5. Jun 5, 2015 #4

Borek

This is an anecdotal evidence. Doesn't count.

6. Jun 5, 2015 #5
    With all due respect....
    Don't you tell your children, your friends, things that are a result of your experience?
    Are they liable to be certainly dismissed?

7. Jun 5, 2015 #6

Borek

I do. But I don't generalize them beyond reason and I don't use them as a basis for far reaching conclusions.

8. Jun 5, 2015 #7
    Then, as per your viewpoint, I am deadly wrong when I generalize that 'most of the people find it difficult to see in the dark' because it is based on my experience that most of the people whom I meet find it difficult to see in the dark.

9. Jun 5, 2015 #8
    Urbanization may have an impact. If we were living in a jungle, it is highly unlikely our screen saver would be a picture of a jungle.

10. Jun 5, 2015 #9

Borek

Yes, this statement - as long as it is not supported by the data - counts as an anecdotal evidence. The difference is physiology of vision is a well researched topic, so it is won't be difficult to find data describing the cutoff values of the light intensity below which human eye stops to work. As long as you don't have similar data supporting your original statement it is not much worth.

11. Jun 5, 2015 #10

Evo

This thread doesn't meet posting guidelines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook