Why Do We Need Gravitons for Understanding Gravity?

• B
  • Thread starter Fig Neutron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitons
In summary: There are a few other papers like this.In summary, physicists propose that gravitons are the particle that exerts gravity. They don't have a satisfactory theory for gravity yet, so they propose that a graviton particle exists. However, they don't know how to quantize gravity and so experiments are ongoing to try and find evidence for this.
Fig Neutron
I understand, for example, the photon for electromagnetic force, but I don't see the need for graviton. From my understanding of general relativity, gravity is caused by the warping of space-time. If I am right, why do we need a force carrier particle for a feature of space?

From what I can find it looks like the theory for graviton comes from quantifying gravity. Again, IF I'm right how can you quantify gravity?

sources:
http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2015/11/the-quest-for-a-quantum-theory-of-gravity-.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton
https://futurism.com/the-edge-of-physics-do-gravitons-really-exist/
along with a few books (for example: The Elegant Universe)

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason for this is quite simple and is actually explained in the book "The Elegant Universe", by Brian Greene, if I'm right.

As explained by the book by Brian Greene, all forces have a corresponding particle exerting its force. The strong nuclear force has gluons holding together protons and neutrons; the weak force's carrier are the W and Z bosons; the electromagnetic force is transmitted using photons; the leftover one is gravity. Gravity is the big hole in the theory of everything. If all the forces have "carrier" particles, then how can gravity be the odd one out.

Physicists need to come up with an all-encompassing theory, and gravity does not have a carrier particle. Gravity is disrupting the perfection of the theory they came up with. This is why physicists proposed a graviton particle as a particle which exerts gravity.

If you want to know more of the mathematics behind why we need to have a graviton particle and a deeper explanation, Brian Greene can explain it better than I can. Just go to Chapter 5 and read through the section "Messenger Particles". It should answer your question.

Likes Fig Neutron
There is no need for them. And if there are any, gravitons don't need to be elementary like photons; perhaps they are quasiparticles like phonons, useful descriptions to describe collective phenomena.

Likes Fig Neutron
If I knew how to quantify gravity I probably wouldn't be a math teacher right now.

lekh2003 said:
Just go to Chapter 5 and read through the section "Messenger Particles".
I read the just read the section titled "Messenger Particles" it was helpful thank you.

haushofer said:
If I knew how to quantify gravity I probably wouldn't be a math teacher right now
Sorry if you look at my introduction from yesterday I said I might ask some dumb questions.

I wouldn't qualify that as a dumb question,

Likes lekh2003
Fredrik gave an interesting answer in https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/why-do-people-insist-on-the-graviton.220517/

Basically the left hand side of Einstein's Field Equations describe curvature. The right hand side describes matter and energy. We know that the right hand side can be quantised. We know that the left hand side depends on the right. So it must be possible to quantise that too.

We just don't know how to do that yet.

Likes Imager and Fig Neutron
Thank you Ibix, that's a helps me understand it. Great way to think about it.

1. Why do we need gravitons?

Gravitons are necessary to explain the force of gravity. They are the theoretical particles that mediate the gravitational force between objects. Without gravitons, we would not have a complete understanding of the fundamental forces in the universe.

2. How do gravitons work?

Gravitons are thought to be massless particles that are constantly being exchanged between objects with mass. This exchange creates the force of gravity between the objects. The more massive an object is, the more gravitons it will exchange and the stronger its gravitational pull will be.

3. Do we have evidence for the existence of gravitons?

While gravitons have not yet been directly observed, their existence is supported by the success of the Standard Model of particle physics and the equations of general relativity. In addition, experiments such as the detection of gravitational waves provide indirect evidence for the existence of gravitons.

4. Can gravitons be detected?

At this time, gravitons have not been directly detected. This is because they are extremely difficult to detect due to their extremely small size and weak interaction with matter. However, scientists are continuously working on ways to detect gravitons and further study their properties.

5. What impact do gravitons have on our daily lives?

Gravitons are responsible for the force that keeps us and everything else on Earth grounded. Without the force of gravity, we would float off into space. In addition, our understanding of gravitons and the force of gravity has led to many technological advancements, such as satellite communication and space travel.