Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Why do we need more Higgs?

1. Dec 1, 2017 #1
    Hello! I read many things about the importance of Higgs boson for explaining the electroweak symmetry breaking and how thus W and Z boson gain mass. However I am not sure I understand why physicists are looking for more massive Higgs. Can someone explain to me what would be their importance?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 1, 2017 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How do we know there's only one if we don't look to see if there are more?

4. Dec 1, 2017 #3
    Yes, yes I agree. My question is, what are the implications of having more. Like we knew that we need the one we found in order to explain electroweak symmetry breaking. What are the theoretical implications of having more?

5. Dec 1, 2017 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

That depends on what exactly would be found.
    Supersymmetry necessarily has more Higgs bosons, but it is not the only approach that predicts more than one Higgs-like boson.

6. Dec 1, 2017 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Supersymmetry requires more than one Higgs boson, so that's one implication. Other than that, it's hard to describe the implications of something that hasn't been discovered - much less having its properties measured - yet.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted