Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we need SEX ?

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    For fun or for procreation ?

or both?

Too much and too little sex is no good?
    How much is consider "proper" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    I think the whole thing is over analyzed. Fun or procreation, doesn't matter as long as you're responsible about it.

As for amounts...well, let's just say the more the merrier :wink:

And as for people's ideas of proper, they don't matter. you can't dictate morality to anyone else, so you can't dictate what is "proper."

4. Nov 29, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Organisms evolve in the direction that makes sex fun.

The majority of sex being had by people is for 'fun'...or (to use a better word) pleasure.

Now there's also a lot a sex that is intended as an effort at procreation, but nevertheless is also pleasurable.

And finally, there's really no absolute scale for what is considered too much or too little sex. But here are some guidelines that might apply :

- If sex is keeping you from school or work, you're probably having too much
    - if sex all night makes you fall asleep at school or work, it's probably a little too much
    - if you can't find time for meals between sex, you could be getting too much
    - if buying condoms is driving you deep into debt (and 'debt' is not a person, mind you :wink:), that might be a little excessive

- if you go to the doctor asking why your wife is not getting pregnant, and you lookstymied when the doctor asks you how often you try, you're likely not having enough
    - if you wife/girlfriend has to give you directions every time, then you might consider reducing the intervals between

5. Nov 29, 2004 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

shouldn't this thread be in the philosophy forums? :tongue2: okay, maybe even the other sciences forum??

if sex wasn't any fun, the world would certainly be underpopulated...let's face it, we are ultimately slaves to our bodily chemicals... :bugeye:

6. Nov 29, 2004 #5
    But its a fun slavery.

7. Nov 29, 2004 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We need sex because it's the best party on the ballot! :rofl:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=54515&page=2

Saint, I'm hesitant to provide any sort of serious answer to your question. Usually everyone posts an honest or fun answer to these questions you ask, only for you to come back and tell us we're all immoral. We could save you the trouble. Just list what you think the answers to the questions should be, and if we agree with all of them, we'll post "moral" and if we disagree with them, we'll post "immoral." :rofl:

8. Nov 29, 2004 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moonbear,

It is despicably shameful that you use this sensitive issue to ruthlessly further your political agenda. That's the last straw...I'm voting for the other guy. :wink:

9. Nov 29, 2004 #8

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Uh, did you notice I put you on the Sex Party Ticket too? Of course, if you'd rather not be on it, I can cross your name off the invitation list for the inaugural ball. :rofl:

10. Nov 30, 2004 #9
    Sex is a dual edge sword - whether or not you get it you eventually end up shrivelled. :surprised

Sex is one activity where people today behave interpersonally yet primitively. Maybe sex functions in part as as release from social convention. Without it, we certainly would not have the humanity that keeps us together as a people.

11. Nov 30, 2004 #10
    Which explains why priests and monks are so violently sadistic.

12. Nov 30, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ummm...so what I'm saying is that the denial of this all-pervasive issue during this most important political period is the greater crime. To call this a shameful political move is simply playing on the weaknesses of the people.

13. Nov 30, 2004 #12
    Should sex be limited to "only between husband and wife" ?
    Or, you may have it with anyone, as long as it is not a Rape ?

14. Nov 30, 2004 #13
    Even rape is acceptable under certain circumstances.. Like if the continuation of the human race depends on it but she still won't put out :rolleyes:

15. Nov 30, 2004 #14
    After marriage, do you think it is still OK to have sex with a theird person? As long as you do not bring her/him home and do not let your spouse know it.

16. Nov 30, 2004 #15

So far, there is no law to justify rape. :tongue:

17. Nov 30, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Au contraire...

18. Nov 30, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This one I'll answer. No, No, No, it's not okay. If you can't tell your spouse about it, that automatically implies there's something you feel guilty about doing. But, if you're going to get married, it should be because you think that one person is the only one you want to spend your life with. If you are still "playing the field," just don't get married and pretend you're being monogamous.

19. Nov 30, 2004 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Glad to have you onboard! :biggrin:

20. Nov 30, 2004 #19
    I would think it would only be ok if you can take the third person home and your spouse will join in...otherwise i'd say not.

21. Nov 30, 2004 #20

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's what I meant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?