What is the root of procrastination and motivation?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary, motivation is a cost-benefit analysis of a goal. If the cost is too high, we become unmotivated.
Skhandelwal
Philosophically, I have noticed that the more we win, the less lazy we get so we don't procastinate as much. And the more we lose, the more we self-doubt and lose hope. Why? What is motivation fundamentally?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
winning is the motivation

the human body and mind are adapted to only exert energy and effort for activities which directly result in survival: hunting/finding food/water/shelter- the vast majority of human activities in modern humans are NOT directly and many not even indirectly involved with survival- or like going to a job are several indirect steps removed from getting survival resources-

so I would suggest that most humans are naturally reluctant to engage in most modern activities- the body will resist spending valuable energy on some activity which isn't immediatley/directly providing desired resources- we have to overcome natural conservation through willpower

Last edited:
You could think about this from a cost-benefit point of view.

We are motivated to solve a problem based on a perceived reward of some sort. I suspect that we perform a preliminary meta-analysis which results in an estimate of how much effort would be needed to get to the reward. This may be partly or fully subconscious, it seems to be in many cases in my experience. Anyway if the estimated cost is acceptable to us we are "motivated" to solve the problem.

We try a strategy, if that strategy fails we may try to modify it or try a different one. Eventually as we invest more and more "energy" without progress our certainty of getting to the solution within a certain amount of effort decreases. It may be that we reach a point in this process where our meta-analysis of the effort expended vs the reward of success no longer appears worthwhile.

If this is true then motivation is just a representation of our cost benefit estimate with regard to a particular goal. This way of looking at it certainly explains why we are more likely to be lazy when we don't like the reward very much. Most of us would rather go to the movies then clean spilled milk off the floor, even though going to the movie theater costs us a lot more in terms of time, money and energy.

diminishing returns

I'll tell you tomorrow :wink:

Because they are unmotivated or lazy or both.

Skhandelwal said:
Philosophically, I have noticed that the more we win, the less lazy we get so we don't procastinate as much. And the more we lose, the more we self-doubt and lose hope. Why? What is motivation fundamentally?

A person who achieves a lot might become lazy. A person who achieves nothing might become motivated to achieve something.

Don't undercomplicate things. ;)

1. What causes procrastination?

Procrastination is a complex behavior that can be caused by a variety of factors such as fear of failure, perfectionism, lack of motivation, and poor time management skills. It can also be influenced by individual personality traits and external stressors.

2. Is procrastination a form of laziness?

No, procrastination is not necessarily a sign of laziness. It is often a result of a lack of self-regulation and difficulty in managing emotions and priorities. People who struggle with procrastination may actually have a strong desire to complete tasks, but have difficulty in starting or finishing them.

3. Can procrastination be a good thing?

In some cases, procrastination can be beneficial. It can give us time to think and reflect, which can lead to more creative solutions and ideas. However, when it becomes a habit and hinders our ability to meet goals and deadlines, it can be harmful.

4. How can I overcome procrastination?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for overcoming procrastination, as it can have different underlying causes for different people. Some strategies that may be helpful include setting specific and achievable goals, breaking tasks into smaller steps, and using time management techniques such as the Pomodoro method. Seeking support from a therapist or coach can also be beneficial in addressing underlying issues and developing effective coping strategies.

5. What is the relationship between procrastination and motivation?

Procrastination and motivation are closely related, as procrastination can often be a result of a lack of motivation. When we are motivated, we are more likely to take action and complete tasks in a timely manner. On the other hand, procrastination can also lead to a decrease in motivation, as we may feel guilty or anxious about not getting things done. Finding ways to increase motivation and reduce procrastination can help create a positive cycle of productivity.