Why do we show homologous chromosome

• Thread starter little princess
  • Start date
In summary: Meiosis is...why do we show homologous chromosome (i mean in the diagram) in meiosis and not in mitosis? Because in meiosis, the homologous chromosomes pair up, and in mitosis they do not. This is because the homologous chromosomes separate to two different cells during meiosis I that you have haploid cells by the end of meiosis I (and then in meiosis II the sister chromatids separate to separate cells).
little princess
well my question is about meiosis is...why do we show homologous chromosome (i mean in the diagram) in meiosis and not in mitosis?

i really need to know because am confused i do have part of the answer but am not sure about it so i need ur help.

thank u

Biology news on Phys.org
Here's a site that shows meiosis and mitosis side by side (you have to advance through the pages to see each step). This should help you understand the similarities and differences between the two process (remember, in meiosis, cells undergo two divisions resulting in 4 haploid daughter cells; in mitosis, there is only one cell division resulting in 2 diploid daughter cells).

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/miracle/divi_text.html

thank u sir for this site, but still it doesn't answer my question. i needed the explanation for my question... i didnt need the differences & similarties between mitosis & meiosis.

so can i get more specific answer which clear my doubt and give a precise answer for my question.

thank u
p.s. sorry for insisting but i really didnt benefit much from this site cause all the information there r known to me.

little princess said:
thank u sir for this site, but still it doesn't answer my question. i needed the explanation for my question... i didnt need the differences & similarties between mitosis & meiosis.

so can i get more specific answer which clear my doubt and give a precise answer for my question.

thank u
p.s. sorry for insisting but i really didnt benefit much from this site cause all the information there r known to me.
I'm not sure what you're trying to ask then. The pairing up of homologous chromosomes is the major difference between meiosis and mitosis, so if you're not sure why that's happening, then you aren't understanding the difference between the two processes. In meiosis I, homologous chromosomes pair up, and in mitosis they do not. It is because the homologous chromosomes separate to two different cells during meiosis I that you have haploid cells by the end of meiosis I (and then in meiosis II the sister chromatids separate to separate cells). In mitosis, the homologous chromosomes don't pair up, so one sister chromatid of EACH chromosome goes to each new cell formed, which means you still have a diploid cell.

Perhaps this will help:

During mitosis only chromatids separate

During meiosis (1) first homologous pairs of "chromosomes" separate (Meiosis I)
then, (2) chromatids separate (Meiosis II)

Now, because chromatids separate in both mitosis and meiosis, the primary difference in the two processes "is" the formation of homologous pairs.

More to detail. You need the homologous pair separation step to end up with haploid number of chromosomes in gametes. The separation of homologous pairs means that each gamete will receive one chromosome from every homologous pair. This is called Mendel's Law of Segregation. In this way, it is then possible for a tall individual to pass on a gene for shortness to offspring.

As stated by all of the previous posts, you really do need to understand the homologous pair concept to grasp the fundamental difference between mitosis and meiosis.

Well, thank u very much Rade that was quite uesful. And i think u all are right i may need to read more and understand well the concept of mitosis & meiosis.

thank once more Rade

Why do we show homologous chromosomes?

Homologous chromosomes are shown in order to illustrate the similarities and differences between chromosomes in a pair. This can help us understand how genetic traits are inherited and how genetic disorders may arise.

What is the purpose of homologous chromosomes?

The purpose of homologous chromosomes is to ensure that each offspring receives a complete set of genetic information from both parents. This allows for genetic variation and adaptation within a species.

How do homologous chromosomes differ from other chromosomes?

Homologous chromosomes are paired chromosomes that are similar in size, shape, and genetic content. In contrast, other chromosomes may be different in size and carry different genetic information.

What is the significance of homologous chromosomes in evolution?

Homologous chromosomes play a crucial role in evolution by allowing for genetic variation within a species. This variation can lead to adaptations that help a species survive and thrive in changing environments.

Do all organisms have homologous chromosomes?

No, not all organisms have homologous chromosomes. For example, bacteria and other single-celled organisms may have only one chromosome, while more complex organisms like humans have homologous pairs of chromosomes.