Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we stress?

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1
    What do you think?

I'm not referring to the situations that cause stress, but rather the more fundamental reason why we as humans stress?

I noticed lately that I stress immensely about grades. And the more I stress over it, the more I push myself to achieve better results. It get to this point where I can't take it anymore, and tell myself to stop stressing and worrying so much. Wherein I instantly feel better, but then my upcoming tests for the week suffer.

So is stress a built in mechanism to help push us to the limits to achieve the most we can? Is stress instilled in our DNA so we keep pushing ourselves to the limits primarily for the survival of our species?

edit: pardon my literary skills. It's 2 in the morning, I can't think straight.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2008 #2
    Stress is an evolutionary survival tactic. When there is any reason for anyone to be apprehensive about anything, our bodies are put into a very damaging over drive through a rush of hormones. When humans first developed, if they had something to worry about they were probably in mortal danger, in which case the 'sprint on a moments notice' nature of a stressful situation is a necessity. In today's world when all we need is to relax and let logic take over, the stress mechanism can be very harmful and actually drastically shorten our life spans.

We all go through that 2am crap viet_jon, but luckily, since we know its origins, there are ways of successfully managing stress. I suggest you pick up an old Psychology 101 text book. Many have full chapters on stress. Best of luck!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?