Why Do We Stress? Exploring Our Instincts

• Thread starter viet_jon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, stress is an evolutionary survival mechanism that puts our bodies into overdrive when faced with potential danger. However, in today's world, it can be harmful and shorten our lifespan. It is important to understand the origins of stress and find effective ways to manage it.
viet_jon
What do you think?I'm not referring to the situations that cause stress, but rather the more fundamental reason why we as humans stress?

I noticed lately that I stress immensely about grades. And the more I stress over it, the more I push myself to achieve better results. It get to this point where I can't take it anymore, and tell myself to stop stressing and worrying so much. Wherein I instantly feel better, but then my upcoming tests for the week suffer.

So is stress a built in mechanism to help push us to the limits to achieve the most we can? Is stress instilled in our DNA so we keep pushing ourselves to the limits primarily for the survival of our species?edit: pardon my literary skills. It's 2 in the morning, I can't think straight.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Stress is an evolutionary survival tactic. When there is any reason for anyone to be apprehensive about anything, our bodies are put into a very damaging over drive through a rush of hormones. When humans first developed, if they had something to worry about they were probably in mortal danger, in which case the 'sprint on a moments notice' nature of a stressful situation is a necessity. In today's world when all we need is to relax and let logic take over, the stress mechanism can be very harmful and actually drastically shorten our life spans.

We all go through that 2am crap viet_jon, but luckily, since we know its origins, there are ways of successfully managing stress. I suggest you pick up an old Psychology 101 textbook. Many have full chapters on stress. Best of luck!

I can say that the concept of stress is complex and multifaceted. It is a natural response that serves a purpose in helping us adapt and survive in challenging situations. Our instinctual response to stress can be traced back to our evolutionary history, where stress helped our ancestors to respond quickly to threats and dangers in their environment.

In modern times, this response can still be triggered in situations that are not life-threatening, such as worrying about grades. Our brains have not evolved to differentiate between physical threats and psychological stressors, so we may experience the same physiological response in both situations.

However, chronic stress can have negative effects on our mental and physical health. It is important to find healthy ways to cope with stress and manage its impact on our lives. While stress may have its roots in our instinctual drive for survival, it is important to recognize when it becomes excessive and detrimental to our well-being.

1. Why do we experience stress?

Stress is a natural response to perceived threats or challenges. Our bodies have evolved to react to stressors in order to protect us and keep us safe.

2. What causes stress?

Stress can be caused by a variety of factors, including environmental stressors such as noise or pollution, psychological stressors such as work pressure or relationship issues, and physical stressors such as illness or injury.

3. How does stress affect our bodies?

Stress triggers the release of hormones such as cortisol and adrenaline, which can increase heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration. These physiological changes are meant to help us respond to stress, but chronic stress can have negative effects on our physical health over time.

4. Can stress be beneficial?

In small doses, stress can actually be beneficial as it can motivate us to take action and improve our performance. However, too much stress can be harmful and lead to physical and mental health issues.

5. How can we manage stress?

There are many techniques to manage stress, including exercise, relaxation techniques such as deep breathing and meditation, seeking social support, and practicing time management and problem-solving skills. It's important to find healthy coping mechanisms that work for you and to address the root causes of stress in your life.