1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we treat the unit of pounds this way when doing Work=Force*dist. problems?

1. Jan 28, 2006 #1
    I am reading over an explanation of Work in my calculus textbook (Early Trancendentals 5e - Stewart). The following example has me confused. Why are pounds treated as a force and not a mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2006 #2
    because lbs are a unit of force. the slug is the unit of mass for the english system
  4. Jan 28, 2006 #3
    The pound has actually been officially defined as a unit of mass, even though I believe it was used as a unit of force a long time ago. Nowadays the term pound-weight is used to refer to the gravitational force exerted by a pound, and if you notice the main question states "20-lb weight" to specify this, even though it neglects to be so specific in the rest of the text.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?