Why do we use a high voltage and not a high current?

In summary, high voltage is used for long distance power transmissions because it is more efficient and results in less heat loss. This is due to the relationship between power, voltage, and current, where high voltage results in low current. This allows for a fixed amount of electrical energy to be produced by the generator.
Pseudo Statistic
Why over long distance power transmissions do we use a high voltage and not a high current?

I'm curious about this, I have a test tomorrow and totally forgot to ask the teacher for the answer and got a test tomorrow. :bugeye:
I'd appreciate if someone could help me out here!
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
We use high voltage so it's more efficient because current takes up the wires and less wires is good :p

By wires, I mean cable.. sorry for my crappy english.

The heat loss in a resistor (or wire) is given by the equation,

[tex] P=I^2 R [/tex]

if you notice, the heat loss (or power loss) is proportional to the current.

And the reason why we have high voltage is because we have low current with high voltage. This is given by the relation

[tex] P=VI [/tex]

Since, because of conservation of energy, there is a fixed amount of electrical energy the generator can produce at a certain instant. Therefore, if you have P as a constant and you will see that voltage is inversely proportional to the current.

: )

1. Why do we use high voltage instead of high current in electrical systems?

High voltage is used because it allows for efficient transmission of electrical energy over long distances. This is because high voltage results in lower current, which in turn reduces energy loss due to resistance in the wires. Additionally, high voltage is safer for humans as it is less likely to cause electric shock.

2. What is the relationship between voltage and current?

Voltage and current are directly proportional to each other according to Ohm's Law. This means that as voltage increases, current also increases and vice versa. However, the amount of current that flows is dependent on the resistance of the circuit, which can be controlled by adjusting the voltage.

3. Can high current be used instead of high voltage in electrical systems?

Yes, high current can be used in some cases, but it is not as efficient as high voltage. High current results in more energy loss due to resistance, which can lead to overheating and potential damage to the system. It is also more dangerous for humans as it can cause severe electric shocks.

4. How does high voltage affect the performance of electrical devices?

High voltage can improve the performance of electrical devices as it allows for faster and more efficient flow of electricity. This can be beneficial for devices that require large amounts of power, such as motors and appliances. However, too high of a voltage can also damage or destroy sensitive electronic components.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using high voltage in electrical systems?

One potential disadvantage of using high voltage is the increased risk of electrical arcing, which occurs when electricity jumps between two conductors. This can lead to electrical fires and damage to equipment. Additionally, high voltage systems require more insulation and safety precautions, which can increase the cost of installation and maintenance.