Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we use base 10?

1. Nov 26, 2003 #1
    in our everyday life, for as long as i know we have been using base 10. why not base 9? base 8? base 16? base 50?

is it because we have 10 fingers (which is how our ancestors counted, and thus maybe made the base10 system we are so accustomed to)?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2003 #2

Njorl

Science Advisor

Most of us have ten fingers and ten toes. There are some exceptions, a relief pitcher for the Cubs has 6 fingers on each hand, and of course, Linda Cone of ESPN has twelve toes.

I suppose we might have developed a base 5 or 20 system, or, if math were restricted to males only a base 21 system.

Njorl

4. Nov 26, 2003 #3
  5. Nov 26, 2003 #4

6. Nov 26, 2003 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think we should abandon metric and go straight to hexadecimal for everything.

7. Nov 27, 2003 #6
    i think we would have to make up some new "numbers" (ie the shape and design of their symbols) to replace the A, B, C, D, E, and F we use currently; otherwise, it would become too confusing if A through F was used outside of computer science -- in the general public.

8. Nov 27, 2003 #7

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is true. Perhaps we could steal something from Cyrillic, or even the Greek alphabet. On the other hand, a completly new set of symbols would be cool.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?