Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do women try to change men?

1. Feb 29, 2004 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Women always seem to want to fix or change the man they are with.
    Women know that men don't change (or if they do, it's in a bad way), yet women try anyway. Why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 29, 2004 #2
    well I am not a women, and for those that can't read my signature or are foolish to think it is some kinda mark for a bf i will tell you my name is ben and i am a guy not that my web page says that or common sense says that or that 40,000 other ppl interpreted me as a guy with a girls avatar on spymac.com yes that is for mb one person at pf but just so that person won't get confused.

anyway women have the power, they bear the children and pass down the genes of human history. They are also in self-interest in 'getting what they want' and so little things that are from perfection are wanted to change, of course this is no different form men as i see it. Same basic goal. But also it is a relational ideal that just invokes the struggle to find common ground. you know sacrifice and compensation, imho

4. Feb 29, 2004 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's because those women go into a relationship with unrealistic ideals. I've known men that were guilty of doing the same thing. I've noticed that these types are used to always getting what they want.

5. Feb 29, 2004 #4

kat

Of course..then..there's always the possibility that the majority of women don't try to change men...just that men are attracted to women that want to change them...or that men change when they get in relationships with women and...the women are forever trying to get back the man they were first attracted to....maybe it's all in perception...

6. Feb 29, 2004 #5

Tsu

Gold Member

Many women live by the Principle of the 4T's. If it has Tires, Transistors, or Testicles, you're going to have Trouble with it! So....., it needs to be fixed!!

7. Feb 29, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Why do women try to change men?

Ohw! You are so funny! And so close to the truth :wink:

8. Feb 29, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hrm, yes, haha. Very funny. :frown:

9. Feb 29, 2004 #8

jimmy p

Gold Member

The only time a woman succeeds in changing a man is when he is a baby

10. Feb 29, 2004 #9

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i don't think all women try to change men, but some women might try to encourage them to be their best...

11. Feb 29, 2004 #10

Tsu

Gold Member

Aww...it's just a funny, honey. Don't feel hurt! Would it help if I told you I altered the original saying? It was actually a man's saying and the 'testicles' were another 'T' word applied to the female anatomy. REALLY!

Anyway, I'm not so sure women view it as 'changing' so much as 'adapting'. We adapt ourselves to your lifestyles and behaviors quite a bit. We just feel a little reciprocation is in order...:wink: ALSO, it's because your mother's have told us YOU NEED IT!!!! THEY'VE BEGGED US TO CHANGE YOU!!!! (ok. sorry. i'll stop. i got carried away again... can't help myself! it's just so much FUN inside my head!!! )

12. Feb 29, 2004 #11
    AAh! THe women are trying to morph us into some sort of weird organism that likes shopping and shoes! Instead of watching action movies where stuff blows up now we are 'tamed' into watching kitshy chick-flicks with romance and the gun replaced with a rose! Is this the end of traditional male influences as we know it?

13. Feb 29, 2004 #12

Tsu

Gold Member

The end of 'traditional male influences'? I seriously doubt it. :wink:

14. Feb 29, 2004 #13

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ack, but I -like- a lot of chick flicks!

I guess I'll have to cling to the fact I having been corrupted into liking shopping and shoes! :smile:

15. Feb 29, 2004 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The only time I tried to change a man was when he was cleaning, bare footed and handed, everything with bleach

or by saying that cleaning the dishes by rinsing with running water doesn't really clean them

or that a table is not clean just because you cover it with a lot of tissue paper, which then doesn't get cleaned for several weeks.

or that vacuuming up mold which formed on the floor by a watermellon gone bad is not a particularly smart idea

should I go on? I could

16. Feb 29, 2004 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

That is pretty sick.
    You're not still with this guy are you?

17. Mar 1, 2004 #16

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The first line was another guy the other was really extremely intelligent, but there is also something called social intelligence, isn't there

18. Mar 1, 2004 #17
    Well said, heh

Now the question is, how do you motivate a man to be his best? do you nag and berate him? or do you motivate him by generosity of spirit and your own self assured sweetness?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2004
  19. Mar 1, 2004 #18
    I personally like it when a woman does the latter. The former just annoys me.

20. Mar 1, 2004 #19
    The ultimate change: when women seek to get their man marred:wink: - married, that is.

21. Mar 1, 2004 #20

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why do women try to change men?

Men are like any other accessory or appliance. They wear out with use,or become unfashionable. Since men are seen as status symbols, women may also want to trade in their men for an upgrade when they get a promotion or change careers.

In addition to the advances of women in the workplace, recent increases in man turnover are probably caused by the improvements in man advertising strategies, and the popularity of features that have only recently become available in consumer model men. There has also been a recent upsurge in the popularity of single-use men.

An additional factor may be that women who do not keep their men in good shape, allow their men to get soiled, smelly, or unkempt and fail to perform regular oil changes, and elect to trade them in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?