Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do you feel hot after lifting weights?

1. Mar 17, 2005 #1
    Can someone help me. The questions are in bold and my anwsers are not. Can someone explain it to me.

1. Why do you feel hot after lifting weight?
    Does it have something to do with cellular respiration..
    2. Can you tell when your muscles went into anaerobic respiration? What evidence was there?
    pain?
    3. How many more times powerful were you during aerobic exercise than during anaerobic exercise?
    ???

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Excercising, or in general, using muscles requires chemical energy, which produces heat.

Buildup of lactic acid which causes pain -

from Lactic acid

Not sure about what is being asked.

Anaerobic metabolism/respiration kicks in when the body performs an activity during which the circulatory system (including cardio-pulmonary system) cannot delivery oxygen to the muscles fast enough. The oxygen deficiency then causes anaerobic respiration.

One can for instance lift heavy weight slowly, or a lighter weight with rapid repetitions. In the latter, one is likely to initiate anaerobic respiration.

Interesting discussion on muscle development - Muscle Fiber Hypertrophy vs. Hyperplasia: Has the debate been settled?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?