Why is Physics Forums a valuable social networking site for scientists?

• Thread starter Entropee
  • Start date
In summary: you're looking for a place where you can come and ask questions without getting a lot of vague/random responses, PF is not the place for you. PF is more of a place where people actually discuss things, and offer advice based on their experience. However, if you're looking for a place to socialize with other physicists and to discuss physics-related topics in a mature and intelligent way, then PF is definitely the place for you!
Entropee
Gold Member
Why do "YOU" guys enjoy PF?

Hey guys, writing a research paper this time. It's about social networking sites and how they are beneficial to scientists. All I'm asking for is a brief answer as to why you like physics forums, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

For myself, PF eventually gives solid answers(or advice) through a particular thread, as opposed to incessant speculation seen in many other forums.

When I want REAL answers, I come here, if only to listen...

I like that I can throw out a quirky/geeky topic for discussion that friends in some of my other social groups might roll their eyes at (or chase me down and give me a wedgie or a swirlie).

Without physics forums the answers to my many questions would be like the green light at the end of Gatsby's dock. I feel it's more polite to bug multiple people than ask the same physics teacher question after question; variety is good too :]

Thanks guys

With the understanding that other staff members, Science Advisors, Homework Helpers, our many dedicated members, Greg, and Chroot, may not completely agree with my perspective, I think it is important to understand that thousands of people have worked hard to make PF more than just another social networking site. Imo, the PF mission is to rise above the noise of the internet - to further the cause of education - by providing a format conducive to productive, educational, and insightful discussions. PF also provides a conduit between the scientific community, and the general public. The staff has spent a great deal of time working to develop guidelines consistent with the PF mission.

My primary interest in PF is not social networking. It never has been. I believe that in spite of our many remaining faults and limitations, PF has made great strides towards defining the best of what the internet has to offer. PF is the result of the purely philanthropic efforts, of thousands of individuals, from across the academic spectrum, all dedicated to a common cause. New members cannot even begin to imagine how much work has gone into making PF what it is today. There are at least hundreds of people who have put in thousands of hours, for free, for years; often without even a thank you from those helped. PF is truly a jewel in the rough.

For our official statement, please see out network partner site, Scientific American. Below is also the SciAm network partner announcement, from the December issue, 2008.

Physics Forums hosts discussions ranging from mainstream science to cutting edge. Its main emphasis is on physics, yet it also includes forums on a wide array of other topics in science and mathematics. Physics Forums provides students with academic, career and homework help from peers and professional scientists. Inline LaTeX capabilities make it easy to discuss mathematical topics clearly. Its membership includes the entire spectrum of academia, as well as non-academics who are interested in science at all levels. Physics Forums is moderated by a volunteer staff of professional scientists and engineers who strive to maintain the highest standard of integrity and quality of scientific discussion.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/partners/partner.cfm?partner=10A07B7E-BD48-2D3F-442D45EE7BF74C41

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/1581/decsciam.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I enjoy PF because it gives me a place on the internet where actual intelligent people gather, instead of the usual trolls and morons that you find in other forums (and yes, I may be overgeneralizing, but there's a grain of truth there). Here, I actually enjoy the conversations and arguments with other members, because they actually use logic and don't throw out random, irrelevant lines. They are a place of intelligent people.

Also, my school website blocker doesn't block it.

As I've said before, PF consistently shows me how much I don't know. For me, that is very inspiring. I am constantly humbled by the knowledge and insight given by PF members.

Also, rarely does one find mature discussion on the internet. I love seeing deft debaters (DaveC, TSA, zoob, Gokul, Hurkyl, russ, etc.) work through an issue in a mature, logical, and intelligent way. Not only does this help me learn more about the issue being discussed, it helps me learn how to go about discussing such issues. These intangible "gems" are bountiful on PF.

I intent to be a "lifetime learner," constantly improving myself as a person in all areas: mentally, physically, emotionally, and relationally. PF has played a huge role in my progress thus far. It is really nice to be a part of a community where I can share my nerdy humor, and get my rear handed to me as needed. :approve:

Entropee said:
All I'm asking for is a brief answer as to why you like physics forums, I would greatly appreciate it.

The briefest answer I can give is: "I come here to learn and to get motivation to learn."

If I just read a thread without participating, I learn new things to increase my general knowledge.

If I ask a question and get an answer, I learn something very specific of imediate importance and relevance to me.

If I help to answer someone else's question, I review old material and relearn stuff I should already know.

If I disagree with someone, debate with them, or even argue with them, I still learn about another point of view.

Mostly, by coming here, I learn just how much I don't know, and that motivates me to learn even more.

WOW, that many? Thats almost as crazy as the sink hole in Guatamala.

i joined here coz I am hopeless in physics and need answers lol ;D

Entropee said:
Hey guys, writing a research paper this time. It's about social networking sites and how they are beneficial to scientists. All I'm asking for is a brief answer as to why you like physics forums, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

I just happened across it about a year ago. This is the first and only forum that I have regularly posted on. I've always been interested in science which is what got me here. I've stayed because I enjoy the topics and the administrators don't put up with any BS from kooks, racists, trolls, etc.

I participate in another Science-oriented site, and the admin/owner pointed me to PF and the serious nature of the site, including a homework help forum for math and science students.

Reiterating the statement from SciAm cited by Ivan Seeking - "Physics Forums is moderated by a volunteer staff of professional scientists and engineers who strive to maintain the highest standard of integrity and quality of scientific discussion." That's pretty much the motivation. Networking with people similarly/mutually interested in mathematics and science is a bonus.

Many scientific and technical societies have forums or networking facilities, but PF reaches to the broader public.

I don't think it's a social networking site because everyone knows that mathematics and physics people aren't social. (Where's that sarcasm font?)

Hey, I'm antisocial and proud of it :tongue2:

Why do I like PF? Well, to be honest, I'm not sure I do. I mean, I guess if I really didn't like it I wouldn't be here, but what keeps me coming back is the chance to help educate people about physics, both to hone my skills and because it's gratifying to see someone else reach an understanding - not any sort of fun activity or social interaction with the other members. In fact, I don't think I know anything about anyone else here other than a general sense of who the "big names" are. I certainly would never have thought to label PF a social network.

shelovesmath said:
I don't think it's a social networking site because everyone knows that mathematics and physics people aren't social. (Where's that sarcasm font?)

:bugeye:

but hahaha goood one ;D

because it's the only place I can talk about physics without getting blank stares. :P

Because it's the only place where I can ask 2,324 stupid questions and not get punched in the face.

Here I'm not the only geek around=)

Last edited:

I wouldn't consider PF a social networking site. Sure, a few members here have turned into real life friends over time, but that was never the main goal or my reason for being here, that was just happenstance of being around a group of people with similar interests.

For me, the main attraction of PF is the balance between helping educate the general lay public about current issues in science, and still having enough actual scientists around to also enjoy some deeper discussion that would go over the heads of the lay public. That a strong effort is made to cut out nonsense, misinformation, personal "theories" and other things that confuse the public and undermine science education is what kept me here.

I also like that students struggling in their math and science courses can come here and ask homework questions and get help without being handed answers (very rare on the internet) from people who genuinely love the subjects they are helping with, and I hope it's contagious to some of the students who come here.

How many other places are there where a junior high or high school student having trouble with their homework or understanding a concept taught in class can actually go ask someone who teaches at the university level, or is a professional scientist doing research in that field...and get a response from them?

anthonych414 said:
because it's the only place I can talk about physics without getting blank stares. :P

How can you be sure I'm not staring blankly :tongue2:?

I particularly enjoy the way hairbrain theories are dealt with. Rather than an immediate ban or thread locking, there is some calm, logical response or a reference to the rules.

Also, The moderators are quick enough to isolate bad material that what remains is extremely accurate considering that this is an anonymous internet forum.

Which reminds me, I have a picture of a hydrogen-oxygen explosion in a rubber balloon want to share, so you have that to look forward to!

Last edited:

I like physics forums because I benefit out of it! :devil:

flatmaster said:
I particularly enjoy the way hairbrain theories are dealt with. Rather than an immediate ban or thread locking, there is some calm, logical response or a reference to the rules.

Really? We must be mellowing in our old age. I thought we used them for batting practice. :biggrin: Maybe it's more that like attracts like and having a good signal:noise ratio keeps the few outlandish posts in check without them breeding uncontrolled, so we can take the time to respond briefly before recommending closure and can afford to give a little rope. When we had the crackpots nesting and breeding here, the responses were a lot less polite. :wink:

Moonbear said:
Really? We must be mellowing in our old age. I thought we used them for batting practice. :biggrin: Maybe it's more that like attracts like and having a good signal:noise ratio keeps the few outlandish posts in check without them breeding uncontrolled, so we can take the time to respond briefly before recommending closure and can afford to give a little rope. When we had the crackpots nesting and breeding here, the responses were a lot less polite. :wink:

That's what I mean. On any other site, explosives would be hurled and a shouting match would ensue on some of these threads. Here, the crazies are given some sage words of advice before being asked to leave the adults alone and dine at the kiddie table.

Well Physics Forums is indeed a social networking site, there is no question about that. The definition of a social networking site is: "Any of several websites that provide a virtual community in which people with a shared interest may communicate". But PF isn't like other sites, it is serious and most people don't screw around too much.

1. Why do you enjoy PF as a scientist?

As a scientist, I enjoy PF because it allows me to explore and understand the natural world through systematic and evidence-based approaches. It also allows me to pursue my curiosity and make new discoveries that contribute to the advancement of knowledge.

2. What makes PF appealing to scientists?

The appeal of PF to scientists lies in its ability to provide a platform for rigorous experimentation, data analysis, and hypothesis testing. It also offers a collaborative environment where scientists from different fields can come together to share ideas and work towards a common goal.

3. How does PF benefit your research as a scientist?

PF benefits my research as a scientist by providing access to cutting-edge tools and technologies, as well as a diverse community of researchers. This enables me to conduct high-quality research and stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in my field.

4. Can you give an example of how PF has helped you in your scientific career?

One example of how PF has helped me in my scientific career is through its extensive databases and resources. These have allowed me to efficiently collect and analyze large amounts of data, which in turn has led to significant breakthroughs in my research.

5. How does PF contribute to the overall scientific community?

PF contributes to the overall scientific community by providing a platform for researchers to share their findings and collaborate with others. It also promotes the open exchange of knowledge and fosters a culture of innovation and progress in the scientific community.