Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do you put up with Windows?

1. Feb 4, 2005 #1

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2005 #2

graphic7

Gold Member

At the moment I only have one Windows workstation. Thankfully, I'm not in possession of a Linux workstation. Windows allows me to play games, use my webcam, etc. Not to mention lots of other propiertary software, and my Matlab and Mathematica licenses are for Windows only.

I basically run Windows wherever Solaris or FreeBSD will not run or don't fit the job at hand.

And until another OS supports all the stuff I need to do, Windows will stay on that workstation. Linux is not a solution.

4. Feb 4, 2005 #3

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

What about OS X?

Are you sure you can't transfer those licenses to Unix? Matlab runs great on Linux.

5. Feb 4, 2005 #4

graphic7

Gold Member

I have OS X on my Powerbook. I probably could transfer the licenses, but it sure wouldn't be to Linux.

6. Feb 4, 2005 #5
    I use windows for games and thats about it.and i hate rebooting into it for that. Makes me feel dirty.

I would never switch to Mac though. No reason for it. Anything a mac can do i can do on Linux, for less.

7. Feb 4, 2005 #6
    On a day to day basis I have very few problems with Windows and I'm a gamer, publisher, designer and developer.

8. Feb 4, 2005 #7
    One word; vmware. :shy:

I feel so lonely without my webcam working on Linux =( But meh, small price to pay for the ultraultracoolestsuprimeuberelitenessuberstable feel of Linux.

9. Feb 4, 2005 #8

graphic7

Gold Member

Modified my word

You're joking, right? :rofl:

I have a word for Linux:

akernelunderacommuninistlicensethatispoorlymaintainedthathardlyevergetsanyuptimeforptracevulerbilities

Cool - that's pretty relative and subjective
    suprime - I guess you mean supreme, but no, Linux is not supreme when it comes to OSs.
    elite - Only l33t hackers apply to this. Are you proud to be using that kind of OS?
    stable - What makes you think this?

Yes, Linux is better than Windows. Does that mean Linux is the greatest OS? No. In fact, it's not much of a compliment to say Linux is better than Windows.

Psst, the Linux fanboyism is on a rise today.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2005
  10. Feb 4, 2005 #9

graphic7

Gold Member

You're comparing hardware to software, which you must know is not a valid argument. You are aware that you can run Linux on a PowerPC? You must mean that anything a PowerPC can do an x86 can do it for less?

11. Feb 4, 2005 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

communist license? poorly maintained? hardly gets uptime? trusting windows more than Linux?

Who do you think you are? Scott McNealy? Bill Gates?

12. Feb 4, 2005 #11

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

Now we have a flip-flopper?

13. Feb 4, 2005 #12

graphic7

Gold Member

The GPL is rather controlling for developers, and the maintainers of the GPL (RMS, for one) aren't exactly role models. Poorly maintained? It is. Have you taken a look at the kernel mailing list ever? You have developers that can't integrate kernel patches correctly. Hardly gets uptime? Correct, you have to recompile the kernel every so-in-so months to fix a security vulerbility thanks to that professional development cycle the Linux kernel developers have. Trust Windows more than Linux? Yes, when something breaks in Linux I cannot cry to someone. And no, the hack-it-yourself-fixit-attitude will not prove very useful in a production environment.

14. Feb 4, 2005 #13

graphic7

Gold Member

Misunderstanding of quote.

You've taken that out of context.

15. Feb 4, 2005 #14
    Rubbish!! Plain and simple rubbish. You have to download windows updates and reboot every couple of weeks or so. My Gentoo box updates itself once a week without a problem.

When something breaks in Windows who do you wine too? Do you wine to Bill Gates who then responds "That's not a bug, that's a feature!!!"

Rubbish!!! How many windows flaws, buffer overflows, vulnerabilities and the like are there and least we forget the mall and spyware. How many virii are their for BSD systems? I wonder... Oh, no need to wonder there are none.

16. Feb 4, 2005 #15

graphic7

Gold Member

This is Linux bigotry that I'm not going to even going to reply to.

My problem is that someone has the nerve to create a subjective thread about Windows when the moment someone replies back about Window superiority over a certain OS, they get more and more of this bigotry. I'm not even going to bother with the ad hominem attacks.

17. Feb 4, 2005 #16

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

1. So is the BSD license any less communistic?
    2. I'm sure there are just as many people on the bsd side having trouble merging patches into their kernel.
    3. Redhat and others provide binary patches for the kernel
    4. That is why you buy support from redhat, ibm, novell, etc.

Who do I go cry to if I have problems with openbsd?

From what I see, each has their own problems and it is the big companies like IBM that try to make the operating system(AIX, Linux, etc) cohesive.

18. Feb 5, 2005 #17
    Its a perfectly valid argument. If running it costs me more to do something on a mac than it does on my x86 linux box, it costs more. There should be no doubt as to what i was talking about. Not very complicated to understand.

And you accuse me of OS bigotry?

Please, try to argue that I am communist because i use linux. I would love to hear that flawed logic. There is nothing communist about the GPL license. I noted nothing in there about equal pay for unequal work. I just noticed lots of things implying that there would be no overpriced software that isn't worth crap. Red Hat Enterprise charges for its distro, it does not realease a free one anymore, nothing communist there, is there?

GPL is controlling for developers? How? It says you can't take this source code that you didn't write, change it and sell it. Real controlling. Not anything like microsoft's licenses where you're paying out the arse to use anything.

QFE.

I use linux largely as a developmant platform for theoretical physics work (running computer simulations). Windows could never meet my needs on my budget. Just paying for the compiler's i would need would be prohibitively expensive. All i need is a command line compiler and simple text editor. That and an OS which does what i need it to and then gets the heck out of my way. Windows does everything it can to get in my way, including lending itself to getting diseased. Its wateful of system resources too. And it has to reboot FAR more often than linux (in my experience).

19. Feb 5, 2005 #18

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I want to use Linux over Windows actually, but I am not as savvy on how to load it or even use the two OS so that we can play games on it. I also do a lot with Word and Excel so it becomes necessary to use Windows for those applications unfortunately.

20. Feb 5, 2005 #19

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

21. Feb 5, 2005 #20
    I used OO up until the time when I created a proposal doc for a client and when the client opened up the doc in ms word it didn't convert correctly and looked messed up, that was not a good impression.

For all those who think Linux doesn't have their fair share of vunerabilities, a few years ago I played around with red hat and would get patch/security alerts several times a day. Linux itself is very secure, however Linux is so dependant on 3rd party components and those components are usually not secure.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?