Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do you tailgate?

1. Mar 21, 2008 #1

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm just curious to understand why people do this. I'm curious about both people who just don't maintain recommended following distances (e.g. something like two seconds, or 170 feet at 60 MPH in good conditions), and the people who tailgate egregiously (e.g. something like a quarter second, or 24 feet at 60 MPH).

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2008 #2

Chi Meson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe you smell nice?

4. Mar 21, 2008 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It means you're driving too slow and should get out of the way so the person behind you can pass. :biggrin:

5. Mar 21, 2008 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What else am I going to do while drinking before the game?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2008
  6. Mar 21, 2008 #5

Danger

Gold Member

I don't know why people do it, other than unforgivable stupidity.
    When I learned to drive, it was the car-length rule. Now it's considered that a 2-second separation is safe, so I give 3 under clear dry conditions, or 4 if it's a motorcycle in front of me. Both of those distances go up by 50 or 100% for adverse weather or road conditions.
    I don't like it if someone tailgates me, but I have ways to make their lives miserable if they don't back off. :devil:

7. Mar 21, 2008 #6

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What makes me crazy is when I'm on a two-lane highway and I'm following the car ahead of me at a reasonable distance, going the same speed. That car ahead of me is doing the same, as is the car ahead of him, and so on, and so on.

Car after car after car, all moving along at the same speed on a winding, two-lane road.

Why, why does the guy in back of me ride my bumper? I CAN'T go faster, at least not for long.

In situations like that, Danger, I'm with you with those wicked ways :wink: to make people back the heck off.

8. Mar 21, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In some cities, if you don't tailgate someone just moves in ahead of you anyway. And it is used as a way to make the person in front of you move over, but I am a big fan of stopping distance. :biggrin: I prefer to do the driving and keep Newton in his place.

9. Mar 21, 2008 #8
    Then the only logical thing to do when someone is tailgaiting is to slow down considerably, so that their stopping distance will be within the recommended range. Try 20 MPH on an interstate highway. If they are still tailgating, go to 10 MPH. Then, when they try to pass you, the only logical thing at that moment will be to accelerate to 60 MPH as quickly as possible, since they are no longer tailgaiting and there is no further reason for you to move slowly.

10. Mar 21, 2008 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Technical point: It is illegal and dangerous to drive at speeds signficantly below the speed limit.

11. Mar 21, 2008 #10
    I hope you're not serious! Going that slowly on a highway is very, very dangerous (far more so than tailgating). Some highways actually have lower limits on the speed, and a car traveling lower than that posted speed can be ticketed.

I hate tailgating. I'm a huge speeder, so I understand the desire to go faster than the car in front of me, but tailgating in traffic makes no sense. Sometimes I accidentally travel too closely for a moment, but I make an active effort to back off.

12. Mar 21, 2008 #11
    I dont tailgate anyone, its stupid. I just wait for an opening and PUNCH it, and change lanes back infront of them after I've passed them.

If your going to drive the speed limit, do us all a favor and stay on the right lane. If not, go crash into a tree.

13. Mar 21, 2008 #12
    I think tailgating is much more dangerous. If you need to slam on your brake with maximum force and with no warning, for example, if you see a squirrel or a turtle crossing the road in front of you, even assuming that you have the time to stop to avoid harming the animal, the tailgater would probably push your car into the animal. Not only would the person in back be responsible for the damage to your car, but, more importantly, they would also be responsible for killing the animal.

14. Mar 22, 2008 #13
    I actually did this once. Some idiot was tailgating me on the interstate and had their highbeams on too. I turned my rear view mirror to dark and kept going slower and slower so they would pass me, but they just wouldn't. Finally, I pulled to the shoulder and stopped. There was a cop car behind me with flashing lights which I couldn't see because my mirror was misadjusted. All this because my rear licence plate light was out.

15. Mar 22, 2008 #14
    I hate when I have a 2 second gap in front of me, and someone pulls into that gap...

16. Mar 22, 2008 #15

wolram

Gold Member

One time when driving in fog this guy came behind me with like a foot ball stadium amount of lights on, i pulled into a layby and so did he, i asked why he needed so much light, he said so that he can see to follow me.

17. Mar 22, 2008 #16

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Having driven with a few people whom I consider to be habitual tailgaters, I can say with some confidence that many tailgaters literally are not even aware they're doing it. They seem to be unable to understand what a safe following distance looks like, or fail to actually consider it at all while driving. When told "you're totally tailgating that guy, would you please stop?" they usually look at me with incredulity.

- Warren

18. Mar 22, 2008 #17

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If I'm following someone who is impeding traffic flow by driving right beside a truck for a long time on a 2-lane highway, I will go closer than recommended to let the driver know.

19. Mar 22, 2008 #18

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, if you're going to get in the passing lane and not pass anyone, I'm going to get on your bumper too...and push you past the other vehicle if I must. But that only applies to the passing lane. If there's only one lane, or the slower vehicle is in the right lane, there's no reason to tailgate as there's either no place to go or you can get around passing on the left. I do sometimes end up closer than intended simply because the nitwit in front of me can't maintain a constant speed...I adjust to their speed, and then they slow down, I try to pass, and they speed up...makes you wish you had a bazooka on the roof to clear them out of the way. :devil:

I did have a truck tailgate me along a long, one-lane, winding road one night, with their high beams glaring in my mirror. I HAD to drive slower than usual, because their lights were blinding me...if they would have backed off just a bit, I could have sped up and made us both happy. I even tried to slow down and let them pass, but they wouldn't...grr.

I should also note that in NJ, there's no such thing as NOT tailgating. It takes a long time to get used to what a normal following distance is when you leave the state and move to places with lots of room on the roads. Going 55 or 60 mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic is not uncommon there. There really is no option for not tailgating, because if you slow down, you'll just have a wave of other cars passing you and filling in the gap you're trying to leave.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  20. Mar 22, 2008 #19

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I drive a McLaren Mercedes SLR which has carbon ceramic disk brakes and can stop in half the recommended distance. Thats why I tail gate.

I do tail gate but I have this thing where I have to be as close as possible to the car in front. Even when the traffic has stopped I only leave a couple of inches between cars. I don't know why, just one of the many weird compulsions i have.

21. Mar 22, 2008 #20

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One novice driver with a stick shift on a steep hill will teach you your lesson there. Though, in a way, I can appreciate this feeling...for some reason, it drives me nuts when the person in front of me leaves a big gap between them and the car ahead of them. I really don't know why...rationally, that makes practically no difference in the time it'll take to get through a light when traffic moves again, yet somehow it seems like they're dilly-dallying or something. The frustration only becomes a bit more logical if there's a person trying to squeeze in from a side road or driveway into a line of cars and that person with the big gap in front of them who is oblivious to the people behind them is the reason that person can't complete the turn and get out of the way of someone else behind them wanting to go some other direction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?