Why is a equal to negative a in this scenario?

• Thread starter noahsdev
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of square root properties and the restrictions that come with it. It is pointed out that both a and b must be nonnegative for the property ##\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}## to be applicable. The result of the calculation is a = \pm a, with the choice of the sign depending on the situation.
noahsdev
I've been messing around with numbers (as you do) and I'm wondering why this occurs..
lets let a = b-c.
√a
= √(b-c)
=√(-(c-b))
=i√(c-b)
=i√(-(b-c))
=i2√(b-c)
=-√(b-c)
=-√a
For example if you let a = 1, b = 2, and c = 1.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
noahsdev said:
I've been messing around with numbers (as you do) and I'm wondering why this occurs..
lets let a = b-c.
√a
= √(b-c)
=√(-(c-b))
=i√(c-b)
The step above is where the problem is. You're using the property that ##\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}##
There are restrictions on this and some of the other square root properties - both a and b have to be nonnegative.
noahsdev said:
=i√(-(b-c))
=i2√(b-c)
=-√(b-c)
=-√a
For example if you let a = 1, b = 2, and c = 1.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The step above is where the problem is. You're using the property that ##\sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}##
There are restrictions on this and some of the other square root properties - both a and b have to be nonnegative.
That makes sense. Thanks.

[itex]\sqrt[2]{-1} = \pm i. [/itex] The choice of the '+' or '-' depends on the situation. So your result is '[itex] a = \pm a [/itex]' where you must decide which sign is correct.

First of all, it is important to note that in mathematics, the equal sign (=) means that the two expressions on either side are equivalent or have the same value. It does not necessarily mean that they are identical or the same thing.

In this case, a is equal to negative a because of the properties of square roots and negative numbers. When we take the square root of a number, we are essentially finding the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives us the original number. So, when we take the square root of a negative number, we are essentially looking for a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives us a negative result.

Now, let's look at the expression √a. When we plug in a = b-c, we get the expression √(b-c). This means that we are looking for a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives us b-c. However, when we plug in a = -(c-b), we get the expression √(-(c-b)). This means that we are looking for a number that, when multiplied by itself, gives us -(c-b). But, as we know, a negative number multiplied by a negative number gives us a positive number. So, √(-(c-b)) is equivalent to √(c-b).

This is why we can simplify the expression to i√(c-b) and then further to -√(b-c). By simplifying, we are essentially making the expressions equivalent to each other. So, even though we started with two different expressions, they both simplify to -√a, showing that a is equal to negative a.

In your example, when a = 1, b = 2, and c = 1, we get √1 = 1 and -√1 = -1, which shows that 1 is equal to -1. This may seem counterintuitive, but it is important to remember that in mathematics, we are dealing with abstract concepts and not physical objects. So, we cannot always rely on our intuition to understand mathematical concepts.

I hope this helps to clarify why a is equal to negative a in this scenario. It is a result of the properties of square roots and negative numbers. Keep exploring and experimenting with numbers, and you will continue to discover interesting mathematical concepts and relationships.

1. Why does a = -a?

The equation a = -a is known as the negation property of numbers. This means that whenever a number is multiplied by -1, the result is the opposite of the original number. In this case, a is equal to its opposite -a, which is the same as saying that a is equal to -a.

2. Is this equation true for all numbers?

Yes, this equation is true for all numbers, including positive and negative integers, fractions, and decimals. This is because the negation property applies to all real numbers.

3. What is the significance of a = -a in mathematics?

The negation property is an important concept in mathematics as it allows us to express negative numbers and operations involving negatives. It also helps us understand the relationship between positive and negative numbers.

4. Can you provide an example of a = -a in action?

One example is if we have a number 5, its opposite or negative is -5. Therefore, a = -a would be 5 = -5. Another example is if we have the fraction 1/4, its opposite would be -1/4. So, a = -a would be 1/4 = -1/4.

5. How is the negation property used in real-life situations?

The negation property is used in various real-life situations, such as when dealing with finances, temperature, or direction. For example, if you owe someone $50, your balance would be -50. Or, if the temperature outside is -10 degrees, it means it is 10 degrees below freezing. Similarly, if you are driving south, and then make a U-turn and head north, your direction has been negated.