Why does a bight object like the sun have negative magnitude?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of magnitude and how it is calculated for bright objects like the sun. The speaker asks how an object with a magnitude of 19 would be classified, and the other person clarifies that it would depend on its spectral class. The difference between absolute and apparent magnitude is also mentioned.
DB
Why does a bight object like the sun have negative magnitude?

TY

Astronomy news on Phys.org
thnx, i understand the math now, but how do u think of an object with for example a magnitude of 19? what class of magnitudes would it be in?

DB said:
thnx, i understand the math now, but how do u think of an object with for example a magnitude of 19? what class of magnitudes would it be in?
I'm not sure what you mean: the object is detected, its brightness measured, and its magnitude is calculated.

DB said:

Do you mean spectral classes?

Also, remember the difference between absolute and apparent magnitude, which describe the object's magnitude from 10 parsecs and from a chosen distance, respectivly.

1. Why does the sun have negative magnitude?

The magnitude of an object is a measure of its brightness as seen from Earth. The negative magnitude of the sun is due to its extreme brightness compared to other stars in our night sky.

2. How is magnitude measured?

Magnitude is measured on a logarithmic scale, with lower numbers representing brighter objects. The scale was originally developed by the ancient Greek astronomer Hipparchus and has been refined over time.

3. Does the sun's negative magnitude change?

Yes, the sun's magnitude can change slightly due to variations in its activity, such as sunspots or solar flares. However, it remains consistently one of the brightest objects in our sky.

4. Are there other objects with negative magnitude?

Yes, the moon and some planets, such as Venus and Jupiter, can also have negative magnitudes at certain points in their orbits when they are closest to Earth and at their brightest.

5. How does the sun's magnitude compare to other stars?

The sun's magnitude of -26.74 makes it the brightest object in our sky. However, there are other stars in our galaxy that are much brighter, but they appear dimmer to us because they are much farther away.