Why does an Empty Universe have to obey Negative Curvature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an empty universe having a hyperbolic geometry, known as the Milne Universe. It is explained that for an empty universe with no matter or energy, the curvature of spacetime is negative. However, the equations also show that the universe can have zero curvature if the expansion rate is constant. The conversation also touches on the unitless nature of the scale factor in the Friedmann Equation and the use of different coordinates to represent the same spacetime.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Its stated that empty universe should have a hyperbolic geometry (Milne Universe) but I don't understand how its possible.
$$H^2=\frac {8\pi G\epsilon} {3c^2}-\frac {\kappa c^2} {R^2a^2(t)}$$For an empty universe when we set ##\epsilon=0## we get
$$H^2=\frac {-\kappa c^2} {a^2(t)}$$

$$\ddot{a}(t)=-\kappa c^2$$
However, $$\frac {\ddot{a}(t)} {a(t)}=-\frac {4\pi G} {3c^2}(\epsilon+3P)$$

and for the acceleration equation, we get ##\frac {\ddot{a}(t)} {a(t)}=0##,

for ##\epsilon=0## non-trivial solution happens only ##\ddot{a}(t)=0## for ##\kappa=0##

So what's the problem here ?

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Arman777 said:
Its stated that empty universe should have a hyperbolic geometry (Milne Universe) but I don't understand how its possible.
Without going into the technical stuff, as I understand it, a Milne universe is spatially flat, but has negative spacetime curvature, because the (empty) space is expanding at a constant rate (##\ddot a = 0)##.

Jorrie said:
Without going into the technical stuff, as I understand it, a Milne universe is spatially flat, but has negative spacetime curvature, because the (empty) space is expanding at a constant rate (##\ddot a = 0)##.
Hmm, so that's a different metric then the FLRW since FLRW rerpesents only spatial metrics. But why do we need a negative spacetime curvature ? Why it can't be just flat ?

So ##\kappa=0## is true but space-time in negatively curved ?

Jorrie said:
Milne universe is spatially flat, but has negative spacetime curvature

Actually, it is the other way 'round: the Milne universe has zero spacetime curvature, and negative spatial curvature.

Arman777 said:
For an empty universe when we set ##\epsilon=0## we get
$$H^2=\frac {-\kappa c^2} {a^2(t)}$$

$$\ddot{a}(t)=-\kappa c^2$$
How did you get the second equation? ##H^2 = \left( \dot a /a \right)^2##, which gives
$$\left(\frac{\dot a}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{-\kappa c^2} {a^2}.$$
Consequently, ##\kappa## must be negative.

Arman777 said:
Hmm, so that's a different metric then the FLRW since FLRW rerpesents only spatial metrics. But why do we need a negative spacetime curvature ? Why it can't be just flat ?

So ##\kappa=0## is true but space-time in negatively curved ?
Nope, FLRW is a spacetime metric, because H has time in it: ##H = \frac{\dot {a}}{a}##.

You must distinguish between curved space and curved spacetime. Minkowski spacetime is flat, because it does not expand: ##\kappa=0## refers to zero spatial curvature, but you must also have ##\dot {a} = 0## to get flat spacetime.

Likes Imager
oh yes there's also ##-c^2dt^2##
Jorrie said:
Nope, FLRW is a spacetime metric, because H has time in it: ##H = \frac{\dot {a}}{a}##.

You must distinguish between curved space and curved spacetime. Minkowski spacetime is flat, because it does not expand: ##\kappa=0## refers to zero spatial curvature, but you must also have ##\dot {a} = 0## to get flat spacetime.
I see now. I don't know why I said its not a space-time metric..
George Jones said:
Actually, it is the other way 'round: the Milne universe has zero spacetime curvature, and negative spatial curvature.

How did you get the second equation? ##H^2 = \left( \dot a /a \right)^2##, which gives
$$\left(\frac{\dot a}{a} \right)^2 = \frac{-\kappa c^2} {a^2}.$$
Consequently, ##\kappa## must be negative.
oh I see cause there's square. I didnt notice that. So for a non trivial solution ##\kappa=-1## but it can be also ##\kappa=0## right ?

If we say ##\kappa=0## then ##a(t)=C##

and for
##\kappa=-1##

##\dot{a}(t)=c/R## or ##a(t)=tc/Rt_0## ?

Whats the unit of ##a(t)## its unitless right ? From ##s_p=a(t)r##, but in ##V=HD##, ##H##has a unit of 1/s so, if ##a(t)## is unitless its derivative "gains" unit ??

Are above equations true ?

I also noticed that I missed ##R^2## term in the Friedmann Equation

Last edited:
George Jones said:
Oops yea, I goofed the words. Thanks for correction.

I edited my post..It seems I made a mistake

Jorrie said:

The Milne universe is Minkowski space, just with different coordinates. It is similar to using Rindler coordinates, but in the future light-cone of the Mikwoski space origin rather than the spatially separated region. You certainly do not need ##\dot a = 0## to get flat spacetime, as the Milne coordinates clearly show. It is similar to how Euclidean space is still flat regardless of whether you use spherical coordinates or not.

Jorrie said:
Nit: negative spatial curvature, but that's an artifact of the coordinate system used. The total space-time curvature is identically zero.

Basically, there's positive curvature from the expansion that is matched by the negative spatial curvature.

And as Orodruin mentioned, it's the same exact space-time as the non-expanding Minkowski space-time. It's just a different coordinate system that makes it look curved.

Likes Imager

1. Why does an Empty Universe have to obey Negative Curvature?

An empty universe is one that contains no matter or energy, and therefore has no curvature. However, according to Einstein's theory of general relativity, spacetime itself can have curvature. In an empty universe, this curvature is described as being negative, meaning that spacetime is expanding at an accelerating rate. This is due to the presence of dark energy, which is causing the universe to expand at a faster and faster rate.

2. What is Negative Curvature?

Negative curvature is a geometric concept that describes the shape of spacetime. In a negatively curved universe, parallel lines will eventually diverge from each other, and the angles of a triangle will add up to less than 180 degrees. This type of curvature is commonly associated with an expanding universe, as seen in the case of an empty universe.

3. How does Negative Curvature affect the expansion of the universe?

Negative curvature is a key factor in the expansion of the universe. In an empty universe, the negative curvature of spacetime causes the expansion to accelerate, meaning that the distance between objects is increasing at an ever-increasing rate. This is due to the repulsive force of dark energy, which counteracts the gravitational pull of matter and causes the universe to expand at an accelerating rate.

4. Can an Empty Universe have a different type of curvature?

No, an empty universe can only have negative curvature. This is because an empty universe, by definition, contains no matter or energy to create positive or flat curvature. In order for an empty universe to have a different type of curvature, there would need to be some form of matter or energy present to create it.

5. How does Negative Curvature affect the fate of the universe?

The negative curvature of an empty universe has a significant impact on its fate. It is currently believed that the universe will continue to expand at an accelerating rate, eventually leading to a state known as the "Big Freeze." This is when the universe becomes so spread out and cold that no life or energy can exist. However, there is still much debate and research being done on the fate of the universe, and the role of negative curvature in this process.