Analytic Continuation of the Exponential Function

• Thread starter spaderdabomb
  • Start date
In summary, when dealing with complex numbers, the basic laws of exponents still hold true. This is because the exponential function, when extended to complex numbers through the Taylor's series expansion, follows the same functional identity and rules as the natural exponent. This can be seen through the proof of the exponential rule and Euler's identity.
spaderdabomb
I was doing some math, typed in (eix)(e-ix) and it came out as 1.

I was expecting it to come out as simply ex. Explain pleaseeee thanks =).

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Going to complex numbers doesn't change the rules for the exponential function you (should have) learned way back in high-school.

oHHHHHH LOOOOOL

yeah I'm dumb. Thanks lol. THat's what I get for a four month summer

For those who are a bit concerned about applying exponential formulas to complex numbers, we can use [itex]e^{ix}= cos(x)+ i sin(x)[/itex] so that [itex]e^{-ix}= cos(-x)+ i sin(-x)= cos(x)- i sin(x)[/itex] because sine is an odd function and cosine is an even function.

Then [itex]e^{ix}e^{-ix}= (cos(x)+ i sin(x))(cos(x)- i sin(x))= cos^2(x)- isin(x)cos(x)+ icos(x)sin(x)- i^2sin^2(x)= cos^2(x)+ sin^2(x)= 1[/itex]

And for those that didn't catch the simpler nature of the problem, as dextercioby said, you can use basic laws of exponents:
eixe-ix=eix-ix=e0=1.

Alternatively:
eixe-ix=eix/eix=1.

:)

Eval said:
And for those that didn't catch the simpler nature of the problem, as dextercioby said, you can use basic laws of exponents:
eixe-ix=eix-ix=e0=1.

Alternatively:
eixe-ix=eix/eix=1.

:)

Yes, but there is no reason that basic laws of exponents should apply to complex numbers. That requires a proof and Halls provided it.

Well, micromass, actually there is a BIG reason why the law of exponents should apply to complex numbers. It's because the exp(z) is an analytic continuation of the natural exponent ex that preserves the functional identity:
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) f(z_2)
[/tex]
This is the rule of exponents. Of course, being analytic, the derivative of this function always exists. Differentiating the above identity w.r.t. z2 and setting z2 = 0 after that, we get the ODE:
[tex]
f'(z) = f'(0) f(z)
[/tex]
with the initial condition [itex]f(0) = 1[/itex] which follows from the above functional identity by taking z2 = 0 in the beginning.

The solution of the above initial value problem is [itex]f(z) = \exp(k \, z)[/itex], where [itex]k \equiv f'(0)[/itex], and the exponential function is given by its Taylor series expansion (Frobenius method):
[tex]
\exp(z) = 1 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{z^n}{n!}}
[/tex]

From this expansion, and the Taylor series expansions of the sine and the cosine, which are to be understood as definitions of the trig functions, we can derive Euler's identity for purely imaginary arguments.

Dickfore said:
Well, micromass, actually there is a BIG reason why the law of exponents should apply to complex numbers. It's because the exp(z) is an analytic continuation of the natural exponent ex that preserves the functional identity:
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) f(z_2)
[/tex]

Well, without proof, it isn't clear why such an analytic continuation should exist. You still need to actually define

[tex]e^z=\sum_{n=0}^{+\infty} \frac{z^n}{n!}[/tex]

and prove that [itex]e^{z+z^\prime}=e^ze^{z^\prime}[/itex]. After all, a lot of real-analytic functions do not extend on the complex plane such that the normal rules remain true.

This FAQ seems nice for interested readers: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4080308#post4080308

Last edited by a moderator:
I did not go through the FAQ you had linked, but here's a proof of the sufficient condition.

Suppose a function satisfies the initial value problem (IVP):
[tex]
f'(z) = k \, f(z), \ f(0) = 1
[/tex]
We already showed what the solution to this problem is:
[tex]
f(z) = \exp(k \, z)
[/tex]
where [itex]\exp(z)[/itex] stands for the Taylor's series.

By induction you may prove that:
[tex]
f^{(n)}(z) = k^n \, f(z), \ n \ge 0
[/tex]

The Taylor's series converges on the whole complex plane. According to Taylor's Theorem, we would have:
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{f^{(n)}(z_1)}{n!} \, z^n_2}
[/tex]
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) \, \left[ 1 + \sum_{n = 1}^{\infty}{\frac{(k \, z_2)^n}{n!}} \right]
[/tex]
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) \, \exp(k \, z)
[/tex]
[tex]
f(z_1 + z_2) = f(z_1) \, f(z_2)
[/tex]
Therefore, we proved that this form of a function is also a sufficient, apart from being a necessary condition for the validity of the Laws of exponentials.

Yep. So you can't say that the basic laws of exponents hold without going through such an argument first. That was what I said.

Sure, but show me a proof of Euler's identity that was used in post #4!

Dickfore said:

Why do you need a proof? It can also be accepted as definition of the complex exponential. It is easy to show that

[tex]e^{x+iy}=e^x (cos(y)+i sin(y))[/tex]

also is an analytic continuation of the real exponential. So in this case, Euler's identity becomes a definition. There is nothing mathematically wrong with this approach.

So, then, poster #2 was not wrong.

Dickfore said:
So, then, poster #2 was not wrong.

No, he wasn't.

Dickfore said:

Glad you asked :P

Also, I wish I had replied yesterday. Micromass is completely correct. We needed to define how exponentiation works when it is extended to complex powers. Until that point, we cannot simply assume how it works. In my post, all I had to say was that complex numbers are closed under addition and multiplication. Then, you can derive my solution.

Eval said:

Why did you define the exponential through the Maclaurin series in step 1?

Dickfore said:
Why did you define the exponential through the Maclaurin series in step 1?
Since that is a valid representation of eu, you can see how it leads to representing an imaginary power of e directly to a function of cosine and sine. I think this is how Euler showed the identity, too.

Eval said:
Since that is a valid representation of eu,

But, that is called an ANALYTIC CONTINUATION of the exponential. In this case, it is done through the Taylor's (Maclaurin) series expansion, which has the same form for real and complex arguments, but the radius of convergence is infinite, and so the continuation is valid on the whole complex plane.

I showed in an earlier post that such a function satisfies the exponential rule directly, without invoking any cosines or sines.

1. What is the meaning of "e" in the equation (e^ix)(e^-ix) = 1?

The symbol "e" in this equation represents the mathematical constant known as Euler's number, which has a value of approximately 2.71828. It is a fundamental constant in mathematics and is used to represent exponential growth.

2. Why does raising e to the power of ix result in a complex number?

When the exponent is a complex number, the result of raising e to that power will also be a complex number. This is because complex numbers have both a real and an imaginary component, and e raised to a complex power involves both of these components.

3. How does multiplying (e^ix) and (e^-ix) result in 1?

This is due to the properties of exponents, specifically the property that states that when two numbers with the same base are multiplied, their exponents are added. In this case, the exponent of e in (e^ix)(e^-ix) is ix + (-ix) = 0. Any number raised to the power of 0 is equal to 1, so the result is 1.

4. Can this equation be applied to any value of x?

Yes, this equation can be applied to any value of x, whether it is a real number or a complex number. The result will always be 1.

5. How is this equation used in science and mathematics?

This equation is commonly used in complex analysis and physics, specifically in quantum mechanics. It is also used in mathematical proofs and calculations involving complex numbers and exponential functions.