1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does Fn = mgsinΘ

1. Dec 19, 2011 #1
    There was a bonus word problem on my physics homework that i didnt know how to solve. its two masses, one on an incline plane connected tot he other hanging by a pulley. Heres a crudely drawn FBD of it.

http://sketchtag.com/KS3pmhlzgq

in the question Θ=37 m1=5kg and m2=6kg. assume no friction and find the acceleration and tension in the string. It says to use "special (picture of a triangle)" whats that mean.

I looked up how to solve it and found that to find the normal force on an incline its Fn=mgsinΘ

Can someone explain why this is? And I still havent solved it, but once i understand that part Ill try again before getting help.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2011 #2
    I think this might be the wrong section, sorry if it is

edit: yeah just read the sticky. my bad >_<

4. Dec 20, 2011 #3
    The normal force points perpendicularly to the surface; draw out the surface, the horizontal, the angle between them, the force of gravity and the normal force and try to use some geometry to get the [itex]\sin \theta [/itex].
    Alternatively I can never remember when to use [itex]\sin[/itex] or [itex]\cos[/itex] in these problems, I just think what would happen at [itex]0^o[/itex] and [itex]90^o[/itex] (Which angle would make the force disappear) to figure it out.

5. Dec 20, 2011 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This isn't true.

To find the normal force, consider the force components on the mass perpendicular to the surface. What must they add to?

You may find this helpful: Inclined Planes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook