Why is Pascal's triangle a powerful tool in solving mathematical problems?

• Thread starter bomba923
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, Pascal's triangle is constructed by adding the two numbers above each element, and this yields the number of ways you can get to that element from the top. This can be proven through mathematical induction, as each element can be reached from the first or second number above it.
bomba923
In Pascal's triangle, each element represents the number of ways you can start from the top and get to it! For example, there are six ways to approach the 6 in the row representing the 4th power. There are ten ways to approach the 10 in the row for 5th power...

WHY?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know how the triangle of Pascal is constructed: each nummber is the sum of the two numbers above it. But then it is easy to see why this yields the number of ways you can get to that number from the top, because you can get there from the first or from the second number above it. So the number of ways is the number of ways to get to the first number above it plus the number of ways to get to the second number.

Hmm---what would be the analytical solution?
The observation is really good---but how would I write a formal proof of this theorem? (the numbers and the #ways from the top theorem!)

It just screams induction, doesn't it.

Although that was the phrasing of my 2nd question---->that's not what I meant :smile:
-Indeed it does scream mathematical induction :biggrin: !

This was actually a question from a small booklet asking me to justify my every move/thought in solving the problem. I solved it--but the link to Pascal's triangle seemed abstract at the time (JUST at the time :shy: )

(The idea was to form a link--but I guess that was answered ALREADY by my first question :redface: --now I see!)

Last edited:

Why does it work?

1. What scientific principles or theories explain why something works?

The explanation for why something works can vary depending on the specific subject or phenomenon. In general, it is based on scientific principles and theories that have been observed and tested through experiments and research.

Why does it work?

2. How do scientists determine if something works?

Scientists use the scientific method to determine if something works. This involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions based on the evidence gathered.

Why does it work?

3. Can something work without a scientific explanation?

Yes, something can work without a scientific explanation. However, without a scientific explanation, it is difficult to understand why it works and to replicate its success consistently.

Why does it work?

4. How can we apply scientific knowledge to make something work?

By understanding the scientific principles and theories behind something, we can use this knowledge to make it work in different situations. This allows us to predict outcomes and make improvements for more efficient and effective results.

Why does it work?

5. What role does experimentation play in understanding why something works?

Experimentation is crucial in understanding why something works because it allows us to manipulate variables and observe the effects. This helps us determine the cause and effect relationship and provides evidence to support or disprove our hypotheses.