Does Gravity Affect Light in Stars?

In summary, according to current knowledge, a black hole is the only entity with gravitational attraction strong enough to capture light?
Shirley
First, let me thank you in advance for your patience. I understand there is a lot of foundation I need to build before I can truly learn much of what I need to know, and I thank you for your assistance.

We know that gravity is strongest closest to large objects. Gravity seems to effect light. (My question may be predicated on a misunderstanding of the nature of light?) So, if light is effected by gravity, and gravity is strongest closest to very large objects (such as stars), why does light escape?

Thanks,

John

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, first I'll explain the Newtonian picture.

In Newtonian gravitation, when considering the gravitation of spherically symmetric objects (stars are close enough), there are two regions to consdier:

Inside the star, there is zero gravity near the middle (you're being pulled every way equally). There are still high pressures, though. If you're outside the star, then the force of gravity dies off inversely proportionally to the square of your distance from the center.

Stars are big objects, so if you're on the surface of a star, you're still quite far from its center!

Basically, an object either has to be fantastically huge or fantastically dense in order to trap light and become a black hole.

Of course, Newtonian gravitation isn't adequate to talk about the interaction between gravity and light, but it's close enough to give an idea of what's happening.

Thanks for the reply.

I do understand that Newtonian theory believes light to be particles, and under-predicts the pull of gravity on light.

So, according to current knowledge, a black hole is the only entity with gravitational attraction strong enough to capture light? Are "black holes" just another way of saying there's something that we cannot "eyeball" because no light escapes for us to see? Or has it been "proved" that black holes are collapsed giant stars?

John

Well, it wasn't Newton's theory that held light to be particles.

Anyways, yes, a black hole is simply something that traps light, it doesn't have to be a star. However, the prevailing theory is that the universe is filled with hydrogen gas, and hydrogen gas would ignite fusion (and thus become a star) long before it could become packed together enough to form a black hole.

Fiurstly your correct, gravity does affect light and inded the gravity of stars affects light noticeably.

The only object light can't escape from is a black hole, which is essentially a collapsed star, now black holes though they weigh several times more than our own sun are only a few kilometres across. This means that black holes are extrodinarily dense and it is the density of an object not it's total mass that gives it these properties.
Further to what Hurkyl said above:"Inside the star, there is zero gravity near the middle (you're being pulled every way equally). There are still high pressures, though. If you're outside the star, then the force of gravity dies off inversely proportionally to the square of your distance from the center." At any point inside the star you are only affected by the gravity of the material of the sphere with radius d, where d is the distance inbetween you and the centre of the star (assuming the star is perfectly spherical).

Uh, you mean, if the object was so massive, the gravitational pressure would be so high, the temperature would reach 108 K, and the outward radiation would keep pressures from rising further?

That's more stellar evolution, but yes if star of high enopugh mass can no longer produce the pressure forces needed to stave off the gravitational forces then it will collapse into a black hole.

Here's a hypothetical - is it possible to form a "cold" black hole? Ie, if the gas cloud collapses slowly enough, could it cool fast enough to avoid fusion and bypass that whole stellar evolution thing, going straight to a black hole?

No, becasue the gravitational pull creates the pressure,but I'm sure are at least theortical ways of creating a black hole without going through stellar evolution.

I'm sure you've heard of hypothetical primordial black holes which could of possibly of been formed when the universe was very dense due to density flucatuations, well obviously these are formed without steallar collapse, though in amuch earlier era.

Perhaps we're straying, but I can't say that I understand the whole "event horizon" flowing outward thing. At all.

John

Originally posted by Shirley
Perhaps we're straying, but I can't say that I understand the whole "event horizon" flowing outward thing. At all.
"Flowing outward"? Where do you see that? The event horizon is just the distance from an object (center of the black hole) at which the escape velocity is C.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Here's a hypothetical - is it possible to form a "cold" black hole? Ie, if the gas cloud collapses slowly enough, could it cool fast enough to avoid fusion and bypass that whole stellar evolution thing, going straight to a black hole?

Assuming you had enough time and resources, you should be able to create a black hole via a Bose-Einstein Condensate.

Originally posted By John Cramer in Alternate Views. The BEC [Bose-Einstein Condensate] is so compact and dense that, with sufficient atoms added, a mini-black hole of atomic size should form.

http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw77.html

http://www.npl.washington.edu/AV/altvw108.html

Welcome to Physics Forums, Shirley! :smile:

1. Why does light escape stars?

Light escapes stars because of the intense nuclear reactions happening at their core. The high temperatures and pressure cause atoms to fuse, releasing large amounts of energy in the form of photons, which make up light.

2. How does light escape from the surface of stars?

Light is able to escape from the surface of stars due to the low density of matter in their outer layers. This allows photons to travel relatively unimpeded, eventually reaching the surface and escaping into space.

3. Does light always escape from stars?

Yes, light always escapes from stars as long as the star is actively undergoing nuclear fusion. However, if a star has reached the end of its life cycle and has collapsed into a black hole, its intense gravitational pull may prevent light from escaping.

4. How fast does light escape from stars?

Light travels at a constant speed of approximately 300,000 kilometers per second, so it escapes from stars at this speed as well. This means that it takes about 8 minutes for light to reach Earth from the sun, which is the closest star to our planet.

5. Can light escape from all types of stars?

Yes, light can escape from all types of stars, regardless of their size, temperature, or color. However, the amount and type of light emitted may vary depending on the characteristics of the star, such as its mass and composition.