Exploring the Constant Velocity of Light: A Scientific Explanation

• Thread starter jmnance
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary: This is because the speed of light must be greater than any possible velocity. If you make the universe infinitely large, then the speed of light can be any finite value. However, this violates the law of causality, as events in the past cannot affect events in the future. This is why Einstein postulated the constancy of the speed of light.
jmnance
a constant velocity whether or not you are traveling toward the source, or away from the source?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're going 1000mph west and you fire a bullet at the speed of light towards the east, the bullet travels at the speed of light - 1000mph. I vaguely recall the topic of "if you had a car traveling at the speed of light and you turn on you're headlights, what would happen?" My understanding from that would be the light from the headlights would be 2x the speed of light.

I may be in error and if I am I would enjoy clarification. Just contributing to the discussion to understand it myself.

jmnance said:
a constant velocity whether or not you are traveling toward the source, or away from the source?
Nobody knows. That's why Einstein postulated it rather than proved it.

Pete

Hot Rod SS said:
If I'm not mistaken, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're going 1000mph west and you fire a bullet at the speed of light towards the east, the bullet travels at the speed of light - 1000mph. I vaguely recall the topic of "if you had a car traveling at the speed of light and you turn on you're headlights, what would happen?" My understanding from that would be the light from the headlights would be 2x the speed of light.

I may be in error and if I am I would enjoy clarification. Just contributing to the discussion to understand it myself.

There are two errors in your assumptions. First, nothing with rest mass (eg cars and bullets) can move at the speed of light even in theory. Second, velocities do not add in the simple way you imagine, but according to the relativistic velocity addition equation. See http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SpeedOfLight/headlights.html

In the usual formulations, the constancy of the speed of light is built right into the setup. The answer to "why" is, therefore, obvious and trivial -- e.g. it might be given by the trivial proof "the speed of light is constant because the speed of light is constant".

If you seek a nontrivial explanation, you need to give some indication of what alternative formulation of physics you want to use.

Actually, the speed of electromagnetic waves in free space can be derived from Gauss', Ampere's and Faraday's laws. Start here:

[tex] \nabla \times (\nabla \times E) = \nabla \times (\nabla \times E) [/tex]

Apply a vector calc identity to the left hand side.

[tex]\nabla (\nabla \ldot E) - \nabla^2 E = \nabla \times (\nabla \times E) [/tex]

Apply Gauss' Law to the left hand side to kill the first term and Faraday's Law to the right hand side.

[tex]- \nabla^2 E = \nabla \times ( - \frac{dB}{dt}) [/tex]

Now, switch the order of space and time derivatives on the right hand side.

[tex]- \nabla^2 E = - \frac{d} {dt}(\nabla \times B)} [/tex]

Apply Ampere's Law,

[tex] - \nabla^2 E = - \frac{d}{dt} (\mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{dE}{dt}) [/tex]

Bring the constants out front

[tex] \nabla^2 E = \mu_0 \epsilon_0 \frac{d^2E}{dt^2} [/tex]

And you have a wave equation with wave velocity equal to [tex]\sqrt{\mu_0 \epsilon_0}[/tex], which one will see numerically is equal to c.

If you like, you can repeat this showing magnetic waves travel at the same speed. There is little additional insight to be gained by doing this.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is little additional insight to be gained by doing this.

Other than that Maxwell's laws or supposed to invariant under a change in coordinates, so the wave equation with that particular velocity should also be expected to hold true in all coordinate systems.

As a sort of proof for what the OP was asking, notice that the simple addition of velocities formula cannot hold in any universe with a finite upper bound on speed.

1. What is the constant velocity of light?

The constant velocity of light, denoted by the symbol c, is the speed at which light travels in a vacuum. It is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second, or about 186,282 miles per second.

2. How was the constant velocity of light discovered?

The constant velocity of light was first measured and determined by Danish astronomer Ole Rømer in the 17th century, using observations of the moons of Jupiter. Later, the concept was further developed and confirmed by experiments conducted by scientists such as Albert Michelson and Edward Morley in the 19th century.

3. Why is the constant velocity of light important?

The constant velocity of light is important because it is a fundamental constant of nature and plays a crucial role in many scientific theories and equations, such as Einstein's theory of relativity. It also serves as a universal speed limit, as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

4. How is the constant velocity of light measured?

The constant velocity of light can be measured using various methods, such as using interferometers, lasers, or by analyzing the properties of electromagnetic radiation. These methods rely on precise measurements of distance, time, and other variables to calculate the speed of light.

5. Can the constant velocity of light ever change?

According to current scientific understanding, the constant velocity of light is a fundamental constant that does not change. However, there are some theories that propose the possibility of varying speed of light in certain conditions, but these theories are still being researched and debated by scientists.