Why Does My Tea Container Explode When I Shake It?

• Thread starter ErectusX
  • Start date
In summary, hot water in a sealed container with sugar and tea leaves will occasionally cause the lid to pop open. The pressure inside the container is due to the steam, not just the air.
ErectusX
Hello, I'm new here.
I hope I do not offend all of you physics gurus with my simple question. Here is the scenario:

I have a Rubbermaid 2.5 liter container that I like to fill up with hot (boiling) water, 3 teabags and few spoons of sugar. I'm not sure what kind of plastic exactly it is, but it does not melt or shrink like a regular PET bottle. It is pretty sturdy. When I close the lid and shake the hot tea inside to make it mix with the sugar, pressure builds up inside and (occasionally) pops open the lid. I usually release the steam inside before it does this.

Can anyone explain why this is happening? What happens to the steam as it get agitated?

Thank You! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
The water's hot, near boiling. You put it in a bottle with a little cool air, close it, and then rapidly heat the air to nearly 100 degrees C by shaking the bottle. The air expands, and increases the pressure inside the bottle until the lid pops open.

- Warren

I see. Thanks. For some reason I thought the air above the water would get heated too (at the instance of me pouring the hot liquid in the container). I did not realize it takes time to transfer heat to a layer of air.

So when I mix it, the exchange surface area between the tea and air increases dramatically and helps to speed up the heating --> expansion of the cooler air.

I wish I was a little brighter ;-) Thanks chroot!

I think the lid pops up because of high pressure alright. But the high pressure is mainly due to the steam, not only the air. In the formula PV/T =constant, T here changes not very much because you have to use the Kelvin scale. You have to add with 273 K so you compare T1=273+25 and T2 =273+90, the ratio T2/T1 is not very high surely (appr. 1.2)
The reason here is that when you shake the container, you increase the phase boundary between water and gas so it accellerates the steaming process. The water vapor of course will build up pressure and pop up the lid consequently.
You can test this very easily. After the lid has been popped off, you put it on and shake the container again. Probably the lid will pop out once more if the water is still hot enough.

Last edited:
ErectusX said:
Why does my tea blow up? :-)
Because, when you mix up the tea that way, you make tea 'n' tea!

<sorry, couldn't resist>

Gokul43201 said:
I'm ashamed to say that took me a couple of seconds, but now I'm quietly giggling to myself...:rofl:

Funny! :P

Gokul43201 said:

<sorry, couldn't resist>

Good to see some wit in these here forums. :smile:

1. Why does my tea blow up when I put it in the microwave?

The most likely reason for your tea to blow up in the microwave is because the water in the tea is superheated. This means that it has reached a temperature above its boiling point without actually boiling. When you add a spoon or teabag to the superheated water, it can rapidly boil and cause the tea to "explode". It is important to always use a microwave-safe container and stir your tea before heating it to avoid this situation.

2. Can adding sugar or milk to my tea cause it to blow up?

No, adding sugar or milk to your tea will not cause it to blow up. These ingredients do not affect the temperature or boiling point of the water, so they will not cause it to suddenly boil and "explode". However, if you add a spoon or teabag to superheated water, it can still cause the tea to blow up, regardless of whether or not you have added sugar or milk.

3. Is it safe to drink tea that has blown up in the microwave?

If your tea has blown up in the microwave, it is best to discard it and make a fresh cup. The superheated water and steam can cause burns if it comes into contact with your skin, and the tea itself may have a different taste or texture due to the sudden boiling. Safety should always be a priority when using appliances like a microwave.

4. Can using a specific type of tea cause it to blow up?

No, the type of tea you use should not affect whether or not it will blow up in the microwave. It is the temperature and boiling point of the water that is the main factor in causing tea to blow up. However, some types of tea may have more particles or oils that can contribute to the superheating of the water, so it is always best to stir your tea before heating it in the microwave.

5. How can I prevent my tea from blowing up in the microwave?

To prevent your tea from blowing up in the microwave, make sure to always use a microwave-safe container and stir your tea before heating it. This will help distribute the heat and prevent the water from becoming superheated. You can also let your tea cool for a few seconds before adding a spoon or teabag, as this can also help prevent sudden boiling. And as always, follow the instructions on your microwave and use caution when handling hot liquids.