Why does the graph of y = ln(x) have an imaginary part?

In summary, the natural logarithm function can be extended to the complex numbers using Euler's identity, which results in multiple values for log(-1). The imaginary part is represented by pi and can be found by taking the natural logarithm and adding pi. This can be seen in the graph by the blue real part and the imaginary part represented by pi.
rollcast
I was messing around with wolframalpha and tried to make this graph.

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+y+=+log+x

Now I understand why the blue real part exists and has that shape but I don't understand why it has an imaginary part?

Thanks
AL

Mathematics news on Phys.org
In terms of the real numbers, the natural logarithm function maps positive reals to the reals. Given some negative real number x, there is no real number y such that ey=x (i.e., such that y=log(x).) The natural logarithm can be extended to the complex numbers via Euler's equation ex=cos(x)+i*sin(x). This leads to log(-1)=pi*i (And to a host of other values; natural log is no longer unique.)

Ok, but where does imaginary pi come into it?

I understand that from a bit of messing around that any value to the left of the y-axis is found by taking the natural log and adding imaginary pi, but I don't understand where imaginary pi comes from.

It comes from Euler's identity: [itex]e^{\pi i}+1=0[/itex].

I don't know what math background you have, but the key result here is
[itex]e^{ix} = \cos x + i \sin x[/itex]
If you aren't familar with that, Google for "Euler's identity"

Suppose [itex]z = \log(-a)[/itex] where [itex]a > 0[/itex]. Then [itex]e^z = -a[/itex]. Since [itex]e^x > 0[/itex] for any real value of [itex]x[/itex], [itex]z[/itex] must be complex so let [itex] z = x + iy[/itex].

Then [itex]e^{x + iy} = e^x(\cos y + i \sin y) = -a[/itex]

The imaginary part = 0, so [itex]\sin y = 0[/itex].

So [itex]\cos y = \pm 1[/itex] and to make the real parts equal we have to take [itex]\cos y = -1[/itex] and [itex]e^x = a[/itex] or [itex]x = \log a[/itex].

Putting it all together

[itex]\log(-a) = \log(a) + i \pi + 2k\pi[/itex] where [itex]k[/itex] is any integer.

The graph shows the "principal value" i.e. [itex]\log(a) + i \pi [/itex].

1. Why does the graph of y = ln(x) have an imaginary part?

The graph of y = ln(x) has an imaginary part because the natural logarithm function is only defined for positive real numbers. When x is negative or zero, the natural logarithm is undefined and results in an imaginary number.

2. How does the imaginary part affect the graph of y = ln(x)?

The imaginary part of the graph does not affect the real part, but it does add a vertical shift to the graph. The imaginary part appears as a vertical line at x = 0, and the real part of the graph is shifted up or down depending on the value of the imaginary part.

3. Can the imaginary part of the graph be ignored?

No, the imaginary part of the graph cannot be ignored. It is an essential component of the natural logarithm function and must be considered when looking at the graph. Ignoring the imaginary part would result in an incomplete understanding of the function.

4. Why is the imaginary part of the graph sometimes not shown?

Many graphing calculators and software programs do not display the imaginary part of a graph by default. This is because the natural logarithm function is typically used for real numbers, and the imaginary part is not relevant in those cases. However, it is important to keep in mind that the imaginary part exists and can affect the graph in some cases.

5. How does the presence of an imaginary part affect the domain and range of the natural logarithm function?

The presence of an imaginary part does not affect the domain or range of the natural logarithm function. The domain is still restricted to positive real numbers, and the range is all real numbers. The imaginary part is simply a vertical shift on the graph and does not change the overall behavior of the function.