Why does the moon look full in my photos,...

Jessica, with all due respect: smoking a cigarette has no DISCERNABLE (perceptable) health effect. It does NOT follow that if you can't see the damage, that there is no damage. Every moment your eyes are exposed to direct unfiltered sunlight, your eyes are damaged. This is not something that a wise person would argue isn't true because their vision is 20/20 and they've been doing it for years. (That makes no sense, at all: its an apples and oranges argument). Do not stare into the Sun, and in an ideal world if you go out into the sun, wear sunglasses, at the very least avoid directly looking at the Sun, ever. The health effects are well established, there is no "safe" level of UV exposure for your eyes. I am posting this (off topic), because I have some hope you will benefit from it, I don't mean to offend.
I smoke cigarettes. I don't have to see the damage. I feel it, every puff.

Bummer for me, being an addict, but you don't seem to understand feeling. And you can stop implying that i'm not intelligent. Thank you again.

Oh, and sun glasses made my eyes more sensitive to light, before, so I stopped using them. Now, I can handle more light better.

You don't offend me.

russ_watters
Mentor
Repeating that explanation isn't productive (since if it is true, then she is bearing false witness & if not true isn't useful.)
To that extent, the thread may have run its course (though I won't close it yet). She wants an explanation of what she saw, but the photo doesn't match the description. Yes, we've adequately explained/demonstrated the discrepancy but it is inherrently impossible for us to resolve it for her.

Regarding staring at the sun:
When I was a little kid, I used to do it. I don't recall it being painful and I found the purple spots it laid over my vision intriquing. I used to draw pictures with it! Ultimately as I grew up, I stopped and now my eyes are sensitive to light (bright light is quite painful). Cause/effect? I don't know exactly, but I do know, Jessica, by your descriptions of this issue you are succeptible to drawing improper cause/effect conclusions. It makes me wonder if in your memory, a spot on your vision that you created has morphed into a memory of a real object.

In either case, yes, I encourage you to try taking such pictures again, but also suggest that you will have trouble seeing/photographing a near new moon until just after sunset. The good news is you'll have an opportunity to check once a month!

To that extent, the thread may have run its course (though I won't close it yet). She wants an explanation of what she saw, but the photo doesn't match the description. Yes, we've adequately explained/demonstrated the discrepancy but it is inherrently impossible for us to resolve it for her.

Regarding staring at the sun:
When I was a little kid, I used to do it. I don't recall it being painful and I found the purple spots it laid over my vision intriquing. I used to draw pictures with it! Ultimately as I grew up, I stopped and now my eyes are sensitive to light (bright light is quite painful). Cause/effect? I don't know exactly, but I do know, Jessica, by your descriptions of this issue you are succeptible to drawing improper cause/effect conclusions. It makes me wonder if in your memory, a spot on your vision that you created has morphed into a memory of a real object.

In either case, yes, I encourage you to try taking such pictures again, but also suggest that you will have trouble seeing/photographing a near new moon until just after sunset. The good news is you'lol have an opportunity to check once a month!
"They" say your eyes can be damaged from staring at computer and tv screens, too. But "they" give us these things to carry around and stare at. Lol. "Smart phones"
There's a lot that doesn't make sense. You are assuming, but could be right about me. I'm not going to deny, that's possible. And communication isn't my best skill.

I was always scared to stare at the sun too long because of this damage you and others have told me about. I use glances, not stares, to look. I'm sorry your eyes got sensitive.