Pressure Change: Understanding the Physics Behind Closing a Valve

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of fluctuating water pressure when closing and opening a valve. The speaker measured the pressure at 120psi and noticed a decrease when closing the valve. They also mention a possible leaky regulator and a loop system without a pressure regulator. The conversation ends with suggestions of a failing pressure reducing valve or an increase in chamber volume causing the pressure drop.
bbrady
I was measuring the water pressure on my house using a pressure gauge with a hose bib fitting. So I screwed it on and the meter read 120psi. Then I started turning the valve off and the pressure decreased the more I closed the valve. There was no flow downstream of the valve (or anywhere upstream). I don't understand the physics of this. Why would the pressure decrease just by closing the valve?

Physics news on Phys.org
bbrady said:
I was measuring the water pressure on my house using a pressure gauge with a hose bib fitting. So I screwed it on and the meter read 120psi. Then I started turning the valve off and the pressure decreased the more I closed the valve. There was no flow downstream of the valve (or anywhere upstream). I don't understand the physics of this. Why would the pressure decrease just by closing the valve?
I don't understand: did you screw the gauge on with the valve off, then open the valve and then close it again?

120psi is very high for residential service, and implies to me a leaky regulator and a pressure that may vary with flows elsewhere.

bbrady said:
Then I started turning the valve off and the pressure decreased the more I closed the valve. There was no flow downstream of the valve (or anywhere upstream).
Yeah that doesn't make sense if all is as it should be.

russ_watters said:
120psi is very high for residential service, and implies to me a leaky regulator and a pressure that may vary with flows elsewhere.
I agree, the houses I've had showed more like 35 to 45 psig at the hose bibs.

Likes russ_watters
The 120psi is accurate. I spoke with the water board and mine and a few others are on a loop that does not have a pressure regulator on it. The house is about 280' less altitude than the storage tank. Houses above the tank have a booster pump in the loop and ones lower than mine have pressure reducers. I will likely put a pressure reducer on the house. 120psi is a bit much.

I still don't understand the fluctuations in pressure when I turn the hose bib off or on

Can you post some pictures? Use the "attach file" feature.

Thanks. :smile:

Is there perhaps a pressure reducing valve in your house that's failing?

Likes russ_watters
It's possible that the action of closing the valve is increasing the volume of the chamber on the downstream section of the valve itself, leading to a drop in the trapped pressure.

Likes bbrady and russ_watters

1. Why does the pressure change with altitude?

The pressure changes with altitude because as you go higher in the Earth's atmosphere, there is less air above you pressing down. This means that there are fewer air molecules in a given volume, leading to a decrease in pressure.

2. How does temperature affect pressure?

Temperature and pressure are directly related. As temperature increases, the molecules in a substance have more energy and move faster, leading to an increase in pressure. Conversely, as temperature decreases, the molecules have less energy and move slower, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

3. Why does the pressure increase in a closed container?

The pressure increases in a closed container because as the volume of a gas decreases, the molecules become more crowded and collide with each other more frequently, resulting in an increase in pressure.

4. How does the amount of air affect pressure?

The amount of air, or the number of air molecules, in a given space affects pressure. More air molecules in a given volume means more collisions and a higher pressure, while fewer air molecules result in a lower pressure.

5. Why does the pressure change in weather systems?

The pressure changes in weather systems because of changes in temperature and air movement. For example, when warm air rises, it creates an area of low pressure, while sinking cool air creates an area of high pressure. These pressure differences contribute to the movement of air and weather patterns.