Spider Gear Rotation: What Causes It & How Does It Work?

In summary, when a car goes around a corner, the differential comes into action. This is caused by the spider gear rotating about its axis, which speeds up one wheel and slows down the other. The inner wheel experiences more opposing torque, causing it to spin, while the outer wheel experiences less torque, causing it to skid. These opposing forces create a small torque that makes the spider gears accelerate until both wheels reach their correct rpm to follow their respective paths. The motion to the rear wheels is provided by the spider gears, which act as the input. However, there is also a resistive torque from the inner and outer wheels, which helps maintain a constant torque on both wheels. The motion of the spider gears can be visualized through
rambharath94
Whenever the car goes about a differential comes into action.This action generally starts with the spider gear starts to rotate about its axis,this causes increase in speed in one wheel and decrease in other.I want to how this spider gear starts to rotate about its axis what causes it to rotate ?
differential%20diagram.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you consider both rear wheels going round an apex of a corner, the inner wheel being closer to the apex than the outer wheel travels less distance through the corner. Imagine the corner is a portion of circumference of a circle, the closer you are to the centre point of the circle, the smaller the circumference will be, and as there is a fixed distance between the two rear wheels, one is traveling further to get around the corner than the other in the same time period. This difference in distance results in differing axle (spider gear) motion from one side to the other.Damo

Thank you Damo,
There must be some force acting on the side gear ( slowing it down) which starts the rotation of the spider gear! I'm searching for that force which causes a load to act on the inner wheels thr by slowing it down (this inturn slows down the inner side gear) then the spider gear starts to rotate abt it this causes the other side gear (outer) to rotate fast helping the outer wheels to cover a large distance.

update - lost an edit, this post is fixed now.

During the transition into a corner, while the tires accelerate to their steady state speed in a turn, the inner tire is slowed down by an "backwards" (opposing) torque, while the outer tire is sped up by a "forwards" torque. The torques feed back through the spider gears, and the side gears accelerate during the transition until everything reaches some steady state.

Last edited:
thank you rcgldr,
y should the inner tires experience more opposing torque?,can u elucidate more on this, please also provide the nesscary terms e.g. name of the force causing opposing torque. if u can draw a diagram.

oing into a turn:
  • the inner wheel wants to go faster than it needs to follow the path;
  • the outer wheel want to go slower than it needs to follow the path;
Hence:
  • the inner wheel tends to spin;
  • the outer wheel tends to skid;
Those two extra (opposing) friction forces, create the small torque that makes the spider gears accelerate. Once both wheels reach their correct rpm to follow their respective paths, the small torque disappear, the axles and spider gears stop accelerating and thus their new acquired rpm become constant. And the torque is back to being the same on both wheels.

There are nice animations on HOWSTUFFWORKS to help visualize a working differential.

rambharath94 said:
why should the inner tires experience more opposing torque?
Somehow I lost an edit, but jack action's post explains what happens. During the transition, the inner tire is slowed down by an opposing "backwards" torque, while the outer tire is sped up by a "forwards" torque.

You had a very good post about this Automotive Forum
see Automotive Differential Dec 31,2011 by bugatti
specifically post #14 from Tea Jay..old engineering film

jack action said:
oing into a turn:
Hence:
Those two extra (opposing) friction forces, create the small torque that makes the spider gears accelerate. Once both wheels reach their correct rpm to follow their respective paths, the small torque disappear, the axles and spider gears stop accelerating and thus their new acquired rpm become constant. And the torque is back to being the same on both wheels.

There are nice animations on HOWSTUFFWORKS to help visualize a working differential.
jack action said:
oing into a turn:
Hence:

Thank you Jack Action you explained very well.i found your view helpful about spinning of spider gear.

Thank u ppl ,

I watched the videos but I am still ambiguous ab wat causes the backward torque

jack action said:
oing into a turn:
Hence:

i saw the animations the motion to the rear wheels is provided by the spider gears only,so only one input.may be i think an epicyclic gear train needs 2 inputs to give a positive drive.what about the other input.please explain if i am wrong in any way.

rohitjinnu16 said:
i saw the animations the motion to the rear wheels is provided by the spider gears only,so only one input.may be i think an epicyclic gear train needs 2 inputs to give a positive drive.what about the other input.please explain if i am wrong in any way.

There is a resistive torque (due to friction) from the inner wheel and another one from the outer wheel and an input torque from the driveshaft; So you have 3 torques working together.

If you remove the driveshaft torque (car in neutral), then you still have the inner and outer wheels' torques. It is the difference between those two torques that will dictate if the spider gears turn or not (whether there is a driveshaft torque or not).

jack action said:
There is a resistive torque (due to friction) from the inner wheel and another one from the outer wheel and an input torque from the driveshaft; So you have 3 torques working together.

If you remove the driveshaft torque (car in neutral), then you still have the inner and outer wheels' torques. It is the difference between those two torques that will dictate if the spider gears turn or not (whether there is a driveshaft torque or not).
yeah i got it han q

What is spider gear rotation?

Spider gear rotation, also known as differential rotation, is a phenomenon that occurs in vehicles with a differential mechanism. It refers to the rotation of the spider gears, which are a set of gears located in the center of the differential, allowing the wheels to rotate at different speeds while the vehicle is turning.

What causes spider gear rotation?

Spider gear rotation is caused by the unequal distribution of torque to the wheels. When a vehicle makes a turn, the outside wheel has to travel a longer distance than the inside wheel. This results in the outside wheel rotating at a faster speed, and the spider gears allow for this difference in rotation.

How does the differential mechanism work?

The differential mechanism is composed of a ring gear, a pinion gear, and the spider gears. The ring gear is connected to the driveshaft, which transfers power from the engine to the wheels. The pinion gear is connected to the driveshaft and meshes with the ring gear. The spider gears are located between the ring and pinion gears and allow for the wheels to rotate at different speeds while the vehicle is turning.

What are the effects of spider gear rotation?

Spider gear rotation is essential for smooth turning and prevents the wheels from sliding or hopping when making a turn. It also helps to distribute torque evenly to the wheels, which can improve traction and handling. If the spider gears are damaged or malfunctioning, it can cause uneven wear on the tires and affect the vehicle's overall performance.

Can spider gear rotation be prevented?

Spider gear rotation is a natural function of the differential mechanism and cannot be prevented. However, regular maintenance and proper care of the differential can help prevent premature wear and damage to the spider gears. It is important to check the differential fluid regularly and have it changed according to the manufacturer's recommendations.