Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the sun generate white light?

1. Oct 2, 2005 #1
    and does the sun also genrate the full EM spectrum? why does it do that and not a certain wavelength, is it possible to have certain ones, is that what dead stars do, like pulsars only emit radiowaves?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

The sun does generate pretty much the full spectrum, although not equally. In addition to hydrogen fusion, there are other reactions going on and an intense magnetic field. Keep in mind that what we perceive as white light is a combination of all visible frequencies. Pulsars and black holes produce in the radio range because of synchrotron radiation from their incredibly compressed magnetic fields (magnetism is conserved along with angular momentum when they collapse). The gamma and X-ray emissions come from the heat of compression and friction as infalling matter is crushed out of existence. There are no longer any fusion reactions to produce visible light.
    I'm at (or perhaps past) the limit of my abilities here. I leave the stage for Space Tiger or another expert.

4. Oct 2, 2005 #3
    Because it's so damn hot!

The hotter a star the broader the spectrum, the whiter the light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?