Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does the US military advertise?

1. Apr 14, 2004 #1

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I assume that Americans know what the military is, so why is there a need to advertise? It's not like the US military needs more people in it; many of the Americans I know online are in the military or are going to be. Americans I have associated with have said there are military recruiters at highschools; I mean they have their own office in the school.

Why advertise?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, there is talk of another draft due to all the recent activities.

Just thinking in general terms, the more people that you have to choose from, and the more that the military can look like a smart career option, then on the average more exceptional people and people with the "right stuff" can be found. When I allllllmost joined the Navy around 1980, the popularity of military service had been on a real downslide for a long time - really ever since Vietnam. As a result, one argument presented for joining was that given the current competition, a smart person can go very far, very quickly. This is not what the military wants. They want a buyers market; not a sellers market.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2004
  4. Apr 14, 2004 #3

jimmy p

Gold Member

remember the Simpsons episode? Yvan Eht Nioj....

5. Apr 14, 2004 #4
    Like Ivan said, we're actually dangerously near a shortage of troops in America. When the military advertises, it's not like "We're the military, we use weapons to kill people who want to do bad things to you", they tell you more about the education you can get in the military, places you travel, character you will gain, and try to insight nationalistic feelings about fighting in the military.

6. Apr 20, 2004 #5
    Everyone knows what Coke and McDonalds are, but they still advertise :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?