Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why does this derivation fail?

Tags:
  1. May 28, 2017 #1
    I know that deriving y = bεax gives dy/dx = abεax, I also know that the inverse of dx/dy equals dy/dx, so how come I don't get dy/dx = abεax when I do the following:

ln(y) = ln(bεax) = ax ln(bε) -> x = ln(y)/(a ln(bε)) -> dx/dy = 1/(ay ln(bε)) -> dy/dx = ay ln(bε) = abεax ln(bε) ≠ abεax

What am I doing wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2017 #2

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is where it goes wrong. It should be:
    $$\log y = \log \left(be^{ax}\right) = \log b+ax$$

4. May 28, 2017 #3
    So like this: ln y = ln(bεax) = ln(b) + ax ln(ε) and because ln(ε) = 1 then ln y = ln(b) + ax. Thank you very much

5. Jun 9, 2017 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The simple answer, and to elaborate on what @andrewkirk said, what you are doing wrong in the first quote above is treating ##be^{ax}## as if it were ##(be)^{ax}## when you take the log. The expressions ##be^{ax}## and ##(be)^{ax}## are different, just as ##2x^3## and ##(2x)^3## are different.

So ##\ln(be^{ax}) = \ln(b) + \ln(e^{ax}) = \ln(b) + ax##.

BTW, you should use the letter 'e' for the exponential base, not ε ("epsilon"). At least that's what I think you mean.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted