Why Physics is Challenging: Exploring Difficult Concepts

• Thread starter alexk307
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a video demonstrating the phenomenon of a standing wave created by a certain frequency on a 2-d surface, causing rice grains to move erratically until they settle on a non-vibrating point. The participants also mention similar videos involving corn-starch and sand on aluminum plates. They speculate on the complexity of the sound frequency involved in the video and its potential connection to the strange behavior of the rice.
alexk307
why does something like this happen?

I have some physics knowledge, but I am not that advanced...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a very neat video. Here's what I think is happening:

It has nothing to do with the rice. Basically the frequency is creating a standing wave on the 2-d surface which has nodes in the shape given so the rice will bounce around erratically unless it settles on a point on the surface that isn't vibrating and then it'll just stay there. The one thing that confuses me is that the sound you hear in the video seems to be only one pitch and far too high. I'd think there's actually a lot more complicated signal going on in the low frequencies (below human hearing) to create this effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Starstrider. We did this with grains of sand on an aluminum plate in freshman physics.

1. Why is physics considered one of the most challenging subjects?

Physics deals with understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the entire universe. It involves complex mathematical equations and abstract concepts that can be difficult to grasp. Additionally, physics requires a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, making it challenging for many students.

2. What are some of the most difficult concepts in physics?

Some of the most difficult concepts in physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These concepts involve abstract ideas and require a deep understanding of mathematical principles and theories.

3. How can I improve my understanding of challenging physics concepts?

To improve your understanding of challenging physics concepts, it is important to practice solving problems and working through equations. You can also seek help from a tutor or join a study group to discuss difficult concepts with others and gain different perspectives.

4. Is it normal to struggle with physics?

Yes, it is normal to struggle with physics. Physics is a complex subject, and it is common for students to face challenges while learning it. It is important to stay persistent and seek help when needed to overcome these challenges.

5. How can understanding challenging physics concepts benefit me?

Understanding challenging physics concepts can benefit you in various ways. It can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields. It also allows you to better understand the world around you and how it works, leading to a deeper appreciation for science and the universe.