Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does this happen?

1. Jun 5, 2005 #1

JamesU

Gold Member

I've noticed that everytime I swim in the pool for 1+ hours, My voice will break and at some points I can't speak. does anyone have any ideas as to why this happpens?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 6, 2005 #2

DocToxyn

Science Advisor

Is this lap swimming or another pool activity where you are not talking to anyone or are you actively conversing with your friends at probably a higher than normal volume?

4. Jun 6, 2005 #3

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Or are you swallowing a lot of heavily chlorinated water that's irritating your throat? That used to happen to me in pools, the chlorine was irritating, and I'd have a sore throat after spending a lot of time in a pool (even if I wasn't talking or shouting, just swimming quietly).

Of course, you're also at that age where your voice might be starting to break for reasons other than swimming. :wink: It could just be coincidence that it's happening now while you're out swimming a lot with warm weather's arrival.

5. Jun 6, 2005 #4

JamesU

Gold Member

no, my voice gets high and breaks for a few hours after swimming.

it's not chlorine, because one of my friends' pools uses a kind of water called saline, it has no chlorine in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?