Solving Freight Car's Initial Speed: Hooke's Law & Friction

• Thread starter alvarez91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, A 4000kg freight car is brought to rest by two coiled springs with spring constants of 1700N/m and 3500N/m. The car initially compresses the first spring by 28.8cm before the second spring comes into play, and ultimately comes to rest 54.0cm after first contacting the two-spring system. To find the car's initial speed, an equation using the final spring potential energy is used, with the values of a = .288 and b = .252 representing the distances the first and second springs move, respectively."
alvarez91
A 4000kg freight car rolls along rails with negligible friction. The car is brought to rest by a combination of two coiled springs as illustrated in the figure below. Both springs are described by Hooke's law with k1 = 1700N/m and k2 = 3500 N/m. After the first spring compresses a distance of 28.8 cm, the second spring acts with the first to increase the force as additional compression occurs as shown in the graph. The car comes to rest 54.0 cm after first contacting the two-spring system. Find the car's initial speed.

I got the correct answer, .4237, but it took me hours to get, and now I don't even understand how I got it. I understand all the numbers I used, but I just can't figure out which formulas were used. I basically got it by luck. Here is what I did:

.5(4000)v^2=.5(1700).288^2 + (1700).288(.252) + .5(5200)(.252)

I understand the left side and the first part of the right side, but I don't get why I added (1700).288(.252) + .5(5200)(.252). (I understand what all the numbers are, just not why I used them in that order; especially the 5200). Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
The Final energy on the right side of the equation is all spring potential energy, which is the sum of the PE of the first spring (which moves 54 cm) and the PE of the second spring (which moves 25.2 cm).

Your equation will work (if you don't forget to correct your typo and square the the last (.252) term) if you set a = .288, b = .252, and note the final PE is
0.5(1700 (a + b)^2) + 0.5(3500 (b)^2)
0.5(1700 (a^2 + 2ab + b^2) + 0.5(3500 (b)^2)
etc.

If that's what you did.

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force needed to extend or compress a spring by some distance is directly proportional to that distance. This law was first stated by British scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century.

2. How is Hooke's Law used to solve for initial speed of a freight car?

In this case, Hooke's Law is used to calculate the force exerted on the freight car by the spring when it is compressed. This force, along with the force of friction, can be used to calculate the initial speed of the freight car using the principles of motion and energy.

3. What role does friction play in solving for the initial speed of a freight car?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object. In this scenario, friction acts against the motion of the freight car, slowing it down. The force of friction is an important factor in calculating the initial speed of the freight car, as it is one of the forces that acts upon the car during its motion.

4. Why is it important to solve for the initial speed of a freight car?

Knowing the initial speed of a freight car is important for understanding its motion and predicting its behavior. It can also be useful in determining the amount of force needed to stop the car or the distance it will travel before coming to a stop.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving for initial speed using Hooke's Law and friction?

Calculating the initial speed of a freight car can be useful in transportation and logistics, as it helps ensure the safe and efficient movement of goods. It can also be applied in engineering and design, as understanding the forces acting upon objects is crucial in creating structures and machines that can withstand these forces.