Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does this work?

1. Feb 26, 2014 #1
    Cullen in a question seems to say this;

You have a matrix A of any size. Make a matrix B consisting of only the linearly independent columns of A, choosing them by going from left to right through the columns of A. Then make a matrix C such that BC=A [The q was to prove this is always possible. But I'm not asking about that]

He then says that the rows of C are exactly the rows of A in row reduced echelon form. I tried an example, and it works.

My q is, why is this so? I assume it's not just coincidence, so what is going on?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 26, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because the columns of B are linearly independent.
    i.e. what does it mean to reduce to row echelon form?

4. Feb 26, 2014 #3
    To have the rows interact until they produce a basis for the row space of A.

What I don't see is how did C get to have exactly those same rows. I mean, C was introduced into the picture to have its columns operate on the columns in B so as to produce from B the whole of A. Its rows were never given a thought and didn't play a part. So how did they magically become the rows of A in RREF?

5. Feb 26, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are the rows, then, not related to the columns?

6. Feb 27, 2014 #5
    What I know is that the rank of the row space is always equal to the rank of the column space, but I don't know of any other connection between them. The bases can be very different. For example, if A is 3x5, the rows are elements of a five dimensional space, and the columns of a three dimensional one.

7. Feb 27, 2014 #6

Erland

Science Advisor

Something is wrong here. If A has type m x n, and rank(A)=k<m, then B has type m x k, so if C satifies BC=A, then C has type k x n, which is not the same as the type of A. But then, C is not the reduced row echolon form of A, sice A and C have different types.

8. Feb 27, 2014 #7
    Erland,

The RREF of A will have a bunch of zero rows underneath the rows of C [which are all nonzero].

9. Feb 27, 2014 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The other way of seeing this is that you take your matrix A, row reduce it (to reduced row echelon form), call this C, then find the matrix B: BC=A.

Perhaps if you picked a simple case and treated it as a system of simultaneous equations it would help you see what is happening at each stage: what you are doing to the equations.

Note: when you row-reduce A like that, you are finding a particular basis, not just any old basis.
    It should come as no surprise that this basis should have a special relationship with A.

10. Mar 1, 2014 #9
    I see some light. Let R be the matrix that represents all the row operations used to row reduce A. Then RA=C

Thus A=BC, where B is R-inverse.

Let A have rank r.

Since C is also of rank r, it is just rows of zeros beyond row r, and thus it will only use the first r columns of B to build A from B.

So we can get the same effect, meaning get A, by using a matrix consisting of just the first r columns of B, and multiplying by the first r rows of C, and we will get A.

[If A is mxn, modified B will be mxr, and modified C will be rxn, so the dimension are OK].

But I'm still a bit in the dark. We have shown that there is a decomposition of A into R-inverse [modified] and C [modified].

Also, that there is a decomposition using the first lin ind columns of A [call it A modified] and some other matrix, call it D. So that A= R-inverse-modified times C-modified and also = A-modified times D.

But maybe A has two decompositions, using completely different matrices. How do we know A-modified equals R-inverse modified, and that C-modified equals D?

Still working on it. Will try your suggestion of a concrete example.

Thanks for all the help.

11. Mar 1, 2014 #10

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are there more than one decomposition that fits all the conditions?
    Have you covered LU and LDU decomposition yet?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook