Why do we experience time as moving forward?

• Thread starter B.E.M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, according to this expert, time passes at a rate governed by entropy, and our bodies limit how quickly we can experience change. The idea is that by including memories from the past into the present, we experience ourselves as having just come from the past.
B.E.M
Does anyone have any good online references to physicists' theories on why we experience ourselves as moving into the future?

In one sense it seems silly. If time passes at a constant rate, then what is that rate, what even are the units of that rate? One second per second??

I had assumed that entropy could explain why we can remember the past but only make hazy guesses at the future.
For example: Suppose the universe starts as a single cube of ice, 1m wide (call this state A). Notice that it is very low entropy and also very easy to describe. It melts and cracks to become a much more complicated configuration (state B). State B could potentially include a memory of state A for example a smaller ice cube. Since State A is simpler than state B, it cannot contain a version (or memory) of it.

Could this act of including memories from the past into the present give us the sensation that we have just come from the past?

Physics news on Phys.org
You observe change and the rate that time passes is governed by the rate that you can do elementary actions. Given the dimensions of your mouth for instance, you can only speak at a certain maximum speed, and given the size of our bodies, we can only do things at certain speeds, and since consciousness seems to operate pretty much at a speed governed by language which is governed by the speech apparatus, that is the speed we perceive at.

Although I suppose if we became accustomed to more rapid change we would operate at a greater speed, but nevertheless our physiology limits the speed at which we can operate. Bruce Lee got about as quick as one can get.

Sorry, I can't reference to theories, this is just my unadulterated opinion.

I guess you are saying something like the units of the rate at which we experience time passing are something like seconds-per-thought.

ie if you could replace your brain with a computer emulation of your brain, then if you cranked up or down the computer speed, external time would seem to pass slower or faster.

Fair enough.

At what rate does distance pass? 1 m/m?

russ_watters said:
At what rate does distance pass? 1 m/m?

Hi Russ, when I asked if time passed at 1 s/s, I meant to imply this was some sort of truism and therefore not useful.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Here is a great and lengthy discussion about time.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127500

Hi Ivan, I did skim that thread before starting this one. I hope to keep the focus of this thread much less speculative.

Ideally what I would find is a link to a physicists explanation of the experience of moving through time in terms of established concepts of entropy, computability etc for the general reader.

B.E.M said:
Could this act of including memories from the past into the present give us the sensation that we have just come from the past?
Yes, that is the idea.

Hi Demystifier. I have the disturbing suspicion you are including memories of a future discussion we have not had yet. ;)

If you are continuing a discussion from another thread, could you provide a link? (but that discussion should probably be continued in that thread)

Demystifier said:

fair enough.. but I actually thought my icecube analogy was more ":cool:"
I wish I could find a paper or something on this.

(hmmm.. actually have found a few interesting links now, googling "time entropy past future", and avoiding anything with overlarge font and bright green background..)

Last edited:

1. Why does time seem to pass faster as we get older?

As we age, our perception of time changes. This is because as we experience more and more years, each additional year becomes a smaller percentage of our overall life experience. This makes it feel like time is passing by faster.

2. Why do some moments feel longer than others?

Our perception of time can be influenced by our emotions and level of engagement. Moments that are filled with excitement or novelty tend to feel longer because our brain is processing more information. On the other hand, mundane or repetitive tasks can make time seem to pass quickly.

3. Is time really passing or is it just an illusion?

Time is a complex concept that is still not fully understood. However, according to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. This means that time can be perceived differently by different individuals or in different conditions.

4. Can we control our perception of time?

While we cannot control the passage of time, we can control our perception of it. Engaging in new and challenging activities or practicing mindfulness can help us be more aware of the present moment and make time feel like it is passing slower.

5. Why does time seem to slow down in dangerous or life-threatening situations?

In moments of high stress or danger, our brain goes into a heightened state of awareness and we become hyper-focused on the present moment. This can make it feel like time is passing slower as our brain is processing more information and creating more memories in a short amount of time.