Why does USA aid Israel with so much money?

• News
  • Thread starter Tosh5457
  • Start date
Why is USA aiding Israel, and why are they doing it since decades ago? Why are they helping the zionist (racist) movement?

The financial aid they gave to Israel over the years is ridiculous, USA gave more aid to Israel than to other countries combined. What's the justification for this?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_aid_to_Israel.gif" [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Why is USA aiding Israel, and why are they doing it since decades ago? Why are they helping the zionist (racist) movement?
I don't think the intent is to fund a racist movement?

I don't think the intent is to fund a racist movement?
I didn't say it was, but it's helping it for sure. I was just stating it as a consequence, not as the cause of USA's aid to Israel. I want to know the causes.

russ_watters
Mentor
While we're in the "support your assertions" stage:
The financial aid they gave to Israel over the years is ridiculous, USA gave more aid to Israel than to other countries combined.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:US_aid_to_Israel.gif" [Broken]
That's clumsily worded, but could you show us how, exactly that compares with our aid to other countries? How 'bout pakistan? Iraq? France?

While we're in the "support your assertions" stage: That's clumsily worded, but could you show us how, exactly that compares with our aid to other countries? How 'bout pakistan? Iraq? France?
It isn't that hard to look up, russ.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid#Recipients_of_US_Foreign_Aid

Israel: 2.38 billion
Pakistan: 1.78 billion
Iraq: 2.25 billion (though this is a special case, we're occupying the country after destroying its infrastructure)
France: doesn't make the top 25, so it would have to be less than 0.29 billion.

It's worth noting that Israel is a much smaller country than Pakistan, and Israel receives the highest per-capita aid from the US of any country.

Any other countries you're curious about?

While we're in the "support your assertions" stage: That's clumsily worded, but could you show us how, exactly that compares with our aid to other countries? How 'bout pakistan? Iraq? France?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_aid_to_Pakistan" [Broken]

Can't find of Iraq or France. I read that USA gave more aid to Israel than to other countries combined in some site I can't remember, it might be wrong, it might be true. The fact is that USA's aid to Israel is going on since 1949 and totals $101 billion until 2007.

drankin
Simply put, they are our best allies in the Middle East. They are the first (only?) democracy in the Middle East. I believe we fund them to maintain a strategic position there both politically and militarily.

BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The main reason is that the strength of pro-Israel lobby groups is second only to the strength of pro-retired persons lobby groups, with AIPAC being the most influential of the pro-Israel lobby groups and AARP being the most influential of the pro-retiree lobby groups (in other words, the chances for reducing Social Security benefits are even worse than the chance of reducing foreign aid for Irsrael).

Pro-Arab and pro-Muslim lobby groups just aren't very effective in their own right; however, pro-oil lobby groups are relatively strong and are generally more pro-Arab than other groups. Pro-oil lobby groups still aren't as strong as pro-Israel lobby groups (nor as strong as the AARP).

An article on pro-Israel and pro-Arab lobby groups: The Israeli and Arab Lobbies

If one had to choose, the pro-oil lobby groups make the more logical presentations, since their aims are directly related to American economic interests, with their national security aims directly tied to their impact on economic interests. It's hard to make a political career by standing up for oil companies, however.

Evo
Mentor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_foreign_aid#Recipients_of_US_Foreign_Aid

Israel: 2.38 billion
Pakistan: 1.78 billion
Iraq: 2.25 billion (though this is a special case, we're occupying the country after destroying its infrastructure)
France: doesn't make the top 25, so it would have to be less than 0.29 billion.

It's worth noting that Israel is a much smaller country than Pakistan, and Israel receives the highest per-capita aid from the US of any country.

Any other countries you're curious about?
Thanks, proof that the OP's statement is completely false.

The op's question has been answered.

russ_watters
Mentor
I didn't say it was, but it's helping it for sure. I was just stating it as a consequence, not as the cause of USA's aid to Israel. I want to know the causes.
Oy.

If you're really interested in getting answers to and good discussion of the initial question, it would have been better to leave it open and not to frame the discussion based on an unsubstantiated assertion that we're funding racism and implication that Israel is a country based on racism. You've really opened-up a can of worms there.

However, the short answer to your question is (why I am in favor of supporting Israel):
1. We helped create Israel and thus I feel a parental sense of responsibility over it.
2. Israel is a strong ally, surrounded by strong enemies.
3. It's less messy to provide financial aid than to station a large American military force there.

russ_watters
Mentor
I didn't say it was. I wanted to get the OPin the habit of making posts in keeping with our rules.